Sunday, April 26, 2020

Club Update - April 26, 2020

It seems like we are all weathering this isolation successfully.  Although I haven't heard from everyone, between those who have emailed me and those who I am connected with on Facebook, most club members seem to be doing ok.  Thank you for following the rules of social distancing, wearing masks when you go out, and otherwise staying safe.  We would not want to lose any one of you.

The only person I heard from after my last email was Pat Pipa.  She is doing fine, video conferencing with her daughters and keeping company with her dog Mia.

I am also in regular contact with Ellen Hein, Laura Tomich, and Bev Minnerly, who are busy making masks.   Ellen, Bev, Sue Campbell and I have also been decorating the plain white pillowcases  for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch summer camps.   I believe we now have 9-10 dozen done.  This has been a very easy job, taking less than a half hour per pillowcase.    Ellen and I are working on the last 2 dozen so I hope to deliver them in a week or 2.

As I sort through the boxes of donated fabric I am dividing it by size into the following piles:

  • WOF pieces large enough for pillowcase cuffs for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch summer camps
  • Pieces large enough for masks (going to whoever asks first)
  • Pieces large enough to cut into squares for future quilts
  • Strips for dryer Sheet (or similar) blocks
  • Heavier fabrics large enough for drawstring backpacks or dog beds
  • Flannels
  • Smaller sturdy pieces for zipper bags
  • Scraps for doggy beds (this includes sheer and other types I can't think of a use for)


I do have a couple of large pieces of sheer fabric like what is used for scarves.  If anyone wants them, let me know.

Also, if any one wants to make zipper bags, I can supply fabric and zippers.

Since I can only do so much fabric cutting before going into a stupor, I have tried to break things up a little.  I've decided to spend Saturdays and Sundays doing something more creative.  This weekend I started a charity quilt top with some of the 5" blocks and made another set of the Matryoshka Nesting Doll zipper bags.  I have the patterns for 6 different designs of these nesting doll bags, so If I make one set a week I can have examples of all of them by the end of May.  I also have an honor flight quilt top that Ellen made that is sandwiched and waiting for me to quilt it.  I'll post photos when these are finished.

If anyone want to play with some precut blocks, let me know and I will drop off whatever you want at your door.  I even have some of them sorted by color family.
8 inch blocks

10 inch blocks











6.5 inch blocks
6.5 inch blocks











5 inch blocks

5 inch blocks
4.5 inch blocks

4.5 inch blocks













3.5 inch blocks

3.5 inch blocks





I heard that the regional rec centers are opening in May, but El Santiago is a neighborhood rec center so we have to wait a bit longer.   Hope we will be able to get together again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment