Thursday, April 9, 2020

Club Notes for April 8, 2020

Another week has gone by.  I hope everyone is well and keeping busy while staying home. 

As I told you a few days ago we delivered all the items we made for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch to Skip last week.  He turned them over to a representative of the Ranch on Friday.  Yesterday, I received a call from a man named Arvid who works for the ranch.  He asked me to convey their thanks to all of you for the generous contribution and for caring so much about these kids. At some point when things get back to normal he would like to come speak to our group.

Now for member updates:

Last year some time Ellen Hein made a quilt for a friend out of her husband's shirts.  She had some shirt fabric left over and made a tote bag for her out of them. 



A few weeks ago I gave Laura Paulk a bag of fabric and yesterday she returned the bag with 12 backpacks and 2 zipper bags.



I'm hearing that a number of you are working making masks for relative, friends, and some for donations.  So far I've heard Anne Knoff, B.J. Herter, Bev Minnerly, Diane Placek, Donna Rissman, Laura Paulk, Nita Hand, and Suzanne Browne.  I have made a few, but mostly for Ray and me and a few neighbors.

After finishing the Youth Ranch quilts, I started working on some of my UFO's  So far I have finished 2 of my own quilts and have started 2 more.  One of these is for a nephew and the other is a charity quilt.   I will not post photos of these since they are not going anywhere, you'll have to wait until the next time we get together for show and tell.

The rest of you, please email me and let me know what you have been working on or how you are passing the time at home.  Besides sharing it lets us know you are safe and well. You can choose to respond or email me directly and I will consolidate the messages into one so we don't overload everyone's email. 

As I mentioned in a previous message, I picked up a box of the white pillowcases for the Youth Ranch summer camps last week.  I found out later that Bev Minnerly already had another 48, so that means we have 168 to decorate.  Ellen Hein and Sue Campbell each took 2 dozen and I am working on some as well.  This task is easy.  All you need to do is sew a strip of fabric on the cuff to brighten up the plain white pillowcase.   They are institutional pillowcases and at Bev's suggestion, I washed them all to soften them up.  If you would like to work on some, let me know.  Even if you just want to try 1, that is fine.  Every little bit helps.  We don't have to return any until the end of May, and can continue to drop off more later as these 1 week camps run all summer.  I will drop the pillowcases you request in a bag by your door so there is no actual contact per the rules in place.
If you want to learn about the summer camps, go to https://www.youthranches.org/our-services/summer-camps.

By the way, I promised to send you some craft ideas while we are stuck at home.  One of the things I was going to talk about at a future meeting is how to make things like trivets or a message board out of wine corks.  You can get lots of design ideas on Pinterest, but the trick is in how to prepare the corks for cutting.   The trick is to cook them!
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
  1. Place corks in a steamer pan or metal colander and let them steam for about 15 minutes.
  2. Remove the cork with care- it will be hot- and place on a cutting board.
  3. Use a serrated knife or, preferably, a hacksaw to cut the cork in half, slices, or designs.

You must work with the corks soon after taking them out of the pot because once they dry out again they will be back to their original crumbly state.  Lay out your design, then glue the corks together.  For a message board, you can arrange them inside a picture frame.   I challenge some of you to have fun and try this.  Just PLEASE be careful with the knife.

Stay safe and hope to see you all in May.

Lois Rose, Sewing 'N More Club Leader


No comments:

Post a Comment