Monday, April 20, 2020

Club Update - April 20 2020

I received notes from several more members this week, telling me they are safe and well. Here are some update:

Lynn K:
I have been sewing masks and mailing them to friends and family in Ohio. I have done 145 so far. I am using Jenny Doan's pattern with ties and getting good feedback on the fit. I am not charging anything for the mask because I am using up my random fabrics. I still have plenty to use, but I am starting to see a dent in my scrap trays! I am asking that they reimburse the postage. They are ok with that. Before I started the masks I made 6 Cornerstone Quilts and I have put together three UFO quilt tops and have the blocks to a fourth on my design wall. Glad you are getting a chance to sort many of the donations that were stacking up.

Kiki Mitrakos and her son and daughter-in-law Michelle & Tommy:
We are doing fine over here. Kiki was making masks for neighbors. I inquired with CERT (hubby and I are members) about local donations and was told by our Commander that our hospitals are not overwhelmed so to hold off.

Mic Pickard:
Hey Lois it seems we're all making face masks like crazy--that's all I've been doing so far this month!!!  The good news is I'm making BIG dents in my fabric scraps!!!
Right now, I'm out of elastic and waiting on an order to arrive sometime this week to finish the ones my family have requested.  If I get all those finished, I'll let you know so I can help on this request. Thanks for keeping us all connected through this amazing time.

B.J. Herter:
I finished a baby girl quilt and decided it needed a toy to go with it so I made a pink check dinosaur to go with it and now making a blue quilt with a blue check dinosaur.  Still working on my granddaughter ❤️ goat collage for Christmas 🤗🥰 I'm waiting for elastic to come in so I can make more masks. Stay safe and healthy.

Brenda Severa:
We are still doing good but getting very antsy.  We hope to leave for WI on May 2 so wont get to see you before leaving.  We eill quarantine for 2 weeks but they are Safer at Home until May 26.  We want to be clear by that time as we still have a cottage also to take care of.  I am still getting old projects done.  Didn't realize how out of control my ufos are.  I'm sure you saw my 1999 quilt on Facebook.  I attached photo if you want to share with group.  Stay healthy. (photo on the blog)


Mary Kahlow:
Les and I are doing fine.  Working together, we finished that Starry Night Santa wall hanging.
This has 32 tiles with an average of 30k stitches each. Some Allamanda and MEQ gals are making them, so it has been fun to compare notes.
In between, I've made and mailed masks.  My house is clean, the closets are seeing daylight, the shrubs are replanted and I've done far too much cooking and baking.  That pattern Laura found looks better than the pleated variety.

Laura Tomich:
I am working with my church group to make masks for some assisted living facilities.  They requested 300! (Laura was the first to respond to my offer of fabric for masks, so I gave her the pile I sorted out of yesterday's fabric donation box,  I have more boxes to go through, so will offer the next ones I find to others who have shown an interest.)
**************
I have also heard from Ellen Hein and Bev Minnerly.  They are also making masks and waiting for more of the elusive elastic.

I have decided to spend as much time as I can stand sorting through the multitude of fabric donations that have accumulated.  I am making progress, but have a long way to go.  I did take time to make 2 quilts before I started this task.  I had stitched out a set of blocks with a set of train patterns over the past 6 months in order to make a quilt for my husband.  This quarantine gave me the chance to put them together and finish the quilt.  
 
The second quilt I worked on is for me.  Last year I went on a shop hop that offered an owl block pattern at each shop.  I put them together with some other owls I found and completed that quilt. 

That's all I have for this week.  Stay safe and keep in touch.




No comments:

Post a Comment