Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Club Notes - June 29, 2022

Today we continued our patriotic fabric theme.  I pulled out all the red, white and blue fabric boxes I could find and I saw lots of it go our the door.  Several ladies are also still making toys.  I didn’t bring the stuffing this week but will bring it again next week.

I received a note from Charlotte Cecilio letting us know she was in Leesburg hospital since Saturday.  She should be home by now, but we ask for healing thoughts and prayers.

I checked in with Carol Lamb and she said her husband is doing pretty good, but they still have lots of doctor appointments to monitor his blood and for chemo.  His appetite is coming back, so that is good.  We will continue to send healing prayers.

 Last week I made 2 deliveries.  The Villages Hospital Auxiliary received 50 stuffed toys; 14 cats, 20 dinosaurs, 6 fish, 6 bears, 2 frogs and 2 bunnies.  The Ocala Domestic Violence Center got 2 baby blankets, 6 pillowcases, 18 totes, 22 zipper bags, 2 baby fidget mats, 2 stuffed cats, a case of baby wipes and a bag of small soaps, shampoos, etc.

Marti Rhyne mentioned that her neighbor’s deceased wife did a lot of sewing and left a lot of apparel fabric, along with an older Bernina.  She is looking for ways to send these to good homes.  We recommended Good Will, but if anyone is interested they should contact Marti

 Show and Tell:


Bev Minnerly showed a pillow and 2 fabric baskets she made.

Ceal Pedersen showed the stuffed toys she painted faces on.







B.J. Herter brought a basket full, including 2 cats, 


2 dinos, 



 a fabric basket.


a baby quilt, and a sample quilt.



Donna Rissman found a stuffed toy in “5 Below” store and attempted to replicate it.  She showed the result and gave it to Cela to paint the eyes.



Deb Chapman showed the 2 placemats she made from last week’s demo.



Diane Placek couldn’t stay but she left the 2 placemats she made for donation.



Donna finished the binding on 3 of the quilts in our assembly line

Bev Minnerly handed in this top in May..


Deb Chapman handed this one in February and we just got it finished.










For the past few weeks I have been talking about the "monster" quilt I was working on.  This quilt top was donated to us, so I don't know who made it.  I quilted it over several weeks by stitching around each flower in white and then around each center in yellow.  It took Donna 3 hours to add the binding. I forget the exact size, but it is something like 90 by 110






I didn’t bring a show and tell today because I had to send my work off before our meeting. My sister turns 80 on July 5th and they are having a party in N.J. that I cannot attend.  Late last week I found out that 2 of her daughters were coming to visit us on Sunday, so I made a concerted effort to finish the quilt I planned as a gift for my sister.  I finished it an hour before they arrived and was able to save the postage and send it off.




 

 

Selecting fabric from the boxes, sewing and socializing commenced for the rest of the afternoon. We received 2 bags of fabric donations today.  In one I found lots of furry fabric that I cut up to make soft dog beds.   In the other, I found several pieces large enough for backings and a few that Mic will give to Goodwill.

I have been asked on occasion to show the Microwave bowl process.  Since many of you are familiar with this I thought I’d do a double demo next week.  I will show the microwave bowl and the microwave potato zapper.  They both use the same type of supplies, so you can make either one.  I will send the supply list separately,    

See you next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment