Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Club Notes - April 13, 2022

Today’s meeting was a little more laid back than usual.  I am dealing with some arthritis in my spine, so I did not bring a lot of fabric for today’s meeting – only felt for today’s project.  Mic brought the bins of larger pieces, so there was still plenty for anyone who wanted to choose from.

Last week I managed a few deliveries.  I think I told you last week that the curtains for the Sheriffs Youth Ranch cabins  went to Skip and Carol Bryan on March 31st.  April 2nd I dropped off 3 patriotic quilts for Compassionate Care Hospice.  April 7th I was able to bring 27 stuffed toys to the Villages Hospital.  On April 9th Ray and I drove to Dade City and dropped off 38 quilts and 25 pillowcases to be sent to Ukraine.

Yesterday Mic Pickard brought 24 dog beds to Marion County Animal Services, I dropped off 4 Cornerstone Hospice Veteran’s quilts, and ended the day by giving the duffel bags for the ranch graduates to  a rep from the Sheriffs Youth Ranch.  Each of the duffels contained a twin size quilt, 2 pillowcases and 2 small zipper bags.  So it’s been a good couple of weeks. 

I also mentioned that I have 14 (16 after today) quilt tops that I need to get quilted.  I cut batting for most of them last week and finally got to the end of the bolt of batting I bought last November.  I looked for the best deal and ordered another 90” x 40 yd bolt this week, using money from our charity fund.  It should be here tomorrow.

Show and Tell:

 

Yesterday at the Allamanda Quilters meeting, there was a demo on how to make a rope bowl.  

 Pat Pipa and I showed the bowls we made, with an added touch of embroidery on the bottom.

This one is mine


Charlotte Cecilio made 2 stuffed toys and a tote with lobster fabric. 

 


 

Diane Placek handed in a quilt top made from our fabric blocks.

 



Ceal Pedersen made 2 large and a bunch of small totes, using fabric from our big blocks stash.


 

Donna Rissman started off by sharing some chocolate cake chicks(? 😉) with the group.  They were yummy.

She then showed a quilt she made from some blocks found in our incomplete project box.

 

Mary Ellen Boutin also turned in a quilt top made from our fabric stash.

 

Audrey Phillips showed some of her Easter creations – a mondo bag 

 

and some Easter place mats,


and a daily prayer ribbon.

 

 

 She also took some blocks from our incomplete project box and sewed them together in 4 sections.  Her next step will be to put the 4 sections together with sashing to make a quilt top.


Audrey’s daughter, Lynn Delgado, was able to join us today, and we were happy to welcome her back.  She showed an Easter Basket she decorated with odds and ends she found at the Dollar Store or had leftover from other projects.

 

 

 

For today’s fun, Donna Rissman showed how to make a cute bunny in a carrot out of felt.  I will send the pattern and directions in a separate email.

Next week Mic will be running the meeting while I take a week off to deal with my medical issues.  Ceal Pedersen will be giving a talk on how to take care of a quilt, including how to restore an old one.  This should be a great opportunity and I am sorry I will miss it.

For sewing opportunities, Mic will bring a couple of boxes out of the closet – walker bag kits and fabric set aside to make zipper bags.   Several charities look for these small bags to hold toiletries and other small items.  There is also a constant need for more walker bags.  If anyone wants to make their own, the plastic templates are also stored in the closet.

I think that’s everything for this week.   Have fun sewing and I’ll see you soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment