Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Club Notes - April 27, 2022

 We had 4 visitors at today’s meeting and 3 of them joined our club by the end of the day.  It makes me very happy that we continue to attract new members to our group. Every new member brings something  to our little community.

I brought several sunshine cards for attendees to sign.  It’s been a tough year I think.  Mary Kalow’s husband has been ill for a long time and I heard he passed away a few days ago, so we send a sympathy card.  Linda Parr and Carole Lamb both have husbands with serious health issues, so we sent cards to both of them.  Lu Karatzas and Charlotte Cecilio have both been dealing with some health issues so we sent get well cards to both of them.

Ceal Pedersen talked to us about some scam calls she recently experienced.   If it sounds the least bit suspicious, don’t answer the call, return the call, or click on an email link.  Personally, I don’t answer any calls unless I know the caller or they clearly identify themselves on my caller id. Government agencies such as the Social Security Administration will never send an email with a link for you to click on.  You should always go directly to their web sites and logon to your account to verify any info.

Show and Tell:

Diane Placek and Mary Ellen Boutin both tried their hands at making zipper bags last week. We always keep zippers and some of the stronger fabrics in the closet  for anyone who wants to make some of these.

Diane

Mary Ellen









Deb Chapman showed a quilt top and a zip-bag tote she made.


A few weeks ago several of us attended a class on how to make bowls out of cotton clothesline rope. 


Eileen DiSanto showed a rope bowl she made.






Pat Pipa also showed a rope bowl and talked about some mistakes she made and how she turned them around.







Pat also showed the bunny she made from Donna’s demo a few weeks ago.





Ceal Pedersen showed a bunch of tote bags she made, two using blocks from our big block stash, and others from her inspiration, all hand appliqued.





Donna Rissman showed the chenille bunny she finished.








New member, Gisela DeValle showed the block she is working on:  



I wasn’t supposed to strain my back during the past few weeks so I spent the time working on some of my UFO’s (unfinished objects) and perfecting new skills.  



First I finished a Harry Potter quilt I started last year.  


Then I worked on rope bowls and rope coasters, all with embroidery enhancements, trying to find patterns that work best.

Flower Bowl
 
Drunk Elf Coasters

Give Thanks Coaster

Coffee Cup Coasters

Cocktail Coasters

Thanksgiving Gnomes


Coffee Anyone (reject design, too many stitches for rope.)


Patriotic Bowl


Give Thanks Bowl


Flatter Give Thanks bowl

Bowl with Flowers

For today’s demo I showed how to make a fabric scrap and thread catcher bag.  The pattern is attached for anyone who didn’t get one at the meeting.

We spent the rest of the afternoon sewing and socializing. I only brought 2 boxes of squares today and some fabric that was donated yesterday.  Thanks to Mary Ellen for separating the 5” squares out of a box that was falling apart and into 2 smaller, more manageable boxes.   I am trying to get all our squares into smaller boxes to make transporting them easier.

Thanks also for all the help  getting everything put away and loaded into my car.  You made it much easier for me.

There has been a lot of interest in the rope bowls shown today, so I am going to change next week’s program from a fabric block challenge week  to a demo of how to do this. This is good for me too, since I won’t have to bring as many boxes.

I will send out the supply list in a separate email.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment