Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Club Notes - September 5, 2018

We had a noisy, fun meeting this afternoon.  I was happy to welcome back some old friends and some who have been away this summer.

Announcements:

I got an email from the coordinator for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch.  They are having the Annual Friends Luncheon on October 10th at Churchill Recreation Center.  It will be from 11:30 to 1:00.  I won't be going but If anyone would like to attend this to represent Sewing 'N More, let me know.  I emailed him back to let him know we have 7 quilts, 10 pillowcases and 10 duffel bags put aside for them.  We will get these to him before the luncheon.

This month is the Ryan's Case for Smiles pillowcase challenge month.  The Quilting Pallet is participating and offering a $100 gift card for the person who brings in the most pillowcases.  If you would like to try the challenge on your own, go for it.  If you would like to participate as part of a group effort, bring your completed pillowcases to a club meeting.   I currently have 34 pillowcases waiting to be turned in and I will add any brought in by 9/26 to the pile.  I will bring them all to the quilting Pallet after 9/26 and, if we get the prize I will add the gift card amount to our charity supply fund.

Someone told me the Shriners are looking for pillowcases for their kids again too. (Carol Riggs, was that you and is the contact still Jim Chaffin?)  I'm thinking if we get the prize for the most pillowcases turned in for Ryan's Case, we can use that to buy more pillowcase fabric and give those to the Shriners.  Any objections or comments?

Show and Tell:


Carol Thurston created her first set of dryer sheet blocks.


Bev Minnerly finished 2 Halloween wall hangings.


Pat Pipa showed a fabric strip placemat.


Marty Rhyne finished an embroidered purse just big enough to hold a passport and a small wallet, and told how she made several of these for friends (with some not coming out as well as others. ).


Donna Rissman showed a Halloween bag and a pillow she is making for a neighborhood craft sale.


Eileen Navikas showed her zebra strip placemat.











 
I haven' t been at a meeting for the past 2 weeks, so I had a bag of stuff to show.  For small stuff I showed mug rugs, pillowcases, and duffel bags I completed. 




 I finished a baby quilt for a great-great niece about to enter the world. Lastly, I backed and quilted a hand-sewn quilt that Carol Thurston brought in from her friend's estate.  This will be donated to the next VHA Hoedown fundraiser.





















*****************************


Today I showed how to make a 6-sided placemat from border fabric.  The pattern is attached.  When you print it, make sure your print is set to "actual size" and not "fit to page", otherwise the template will print too small.   This pattern works best with a border design that will fit within a 6 inch height and with a short (12-15 inch) repeat.in a later email.

We received another bag of fabric and a BIG bag of batting today.  Thanks to the ladies who helped sort these.  There were some 1 yd pieces of fabric which I added to the pillowcase fabric box and a couple of larger pieces which I've added to our backing fabric box.
I have a good size load of dog beds and a large pile of stuff for the Domestic Violence center .  I plan to make these deliveries over the next few days and will report the quantities.
One of the fabric bolts we received a few weeks ago was for panels to make dolls.  Next week we will sew and stuff as many of these as we can.  I hope to be able to donate these to the Foster Kids organization.  Hope you can join us for this fun.

Lois Rose, Sewing 'N More Club Leader
Home: 352-753-7377

Cell: 352-630-5313

***************
Here is the current project schedule through the end of the year.  If you have something you can demo or have something you'd like to see a demo on, please let me know so we can fill in the empty weeks.

12-Sep-18Stuffed ToysLois Rose
19-Sep-18Charity Projects - Eileen Callejas, HelpertunityLois Rose
26-Sep-18Towel Beach coverLynn K.
03-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
17-Oct-18Charity ProjectsLois Rose
24-Oct-18Halloween Pot Luck
31-Oct-18
07-Nov-18Fabric PostcardsLu Karatzas
14-Nov-18Charity ProjectsLois Rose
21-Nov-18NO MEETING
28-Nov-18
05-Dec-18
12-Dec-18Christmas Pot LuckLois Rose
19-Dec-18
26-Dec-18NO MEETING

No comments:

Post a Comment