Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Club Notes - August 2, 2017

We had a small but enthusiastic group this week, only 14 of us braved the rain.  Mother Nature was kind though, we had only light rain at the start and end of the meeting, with the downpours happening while we were all safely inside.

Today's announcements:

I misspoke about next week's project.  Next week is NOT charity pillowcase week.  That is scheduled for Aug 16th.   I have Bev Minnerly on the calendar to demo the Lobster bib next week and I am checking with her for what we need to bring.

The Material Girl Quilt Shop in Eustis is open again after a bit of a hiatus.  The address is 36844 Hart Ranch Road, Eustis FL 32736 and they are open Mon-Sat 10-4.  Donna Rissman was there this week and she gave a very favorable review to the group.

I have been working towards distributing the charity items that I have been collecting for the club.   As I mentioned in prior weeks, I brought a load to the Ocala Shelter a few weeks ago, all nursing home items went to the Helpertunity organization.  The only things I had left were a couple of Hospice Veterans quilts and 8 backpacks.  I gave the backpacks to the school supplies drive at the Quilt Guild on Tuesday. I call the coordinator for the Hospice quilts and he was supposed to pick them up at El Santiago, but he didn't show up, probably due to the rain.  I hope they will be delivered (and we get a few more of the center blocks) by next week.************************

Show and Tell:

Eileen DiSanto showed a lovely quilt she has completed.


Jane Motrinec came with 2 pillowcases and a walker bag.











Donna Rissman made 4 pillowcases.





Van Hathaway showed a set of machine embroidered placemats she is working on.  (They look much too pretty to eat off of.)  She also made 2 pillow cases during the meeting.








Susie Pandry showed a beautiful embroidered fall wall hanging she has almost finished.



Pat Pipa  made a fidget walker bag.












I showed the completed hanging storage I started in last week's meeting 
 and a beach themed quilt I made for one of my nieces.  (BTW, several people asked where I got the fabric.  I purchased the larger blocks in a panel 2 years ago and I think it is discontinued.  I can't find it anywhere now.  The smaller blocks and the beach umbrella fabric were purchased at Sharky's and they appear to be sold out of them.   They do still have the fruit-bottomed bathing ladies.)


********************************
After show and tell I showed how to make a car/golf cart trash bag.  These are photos of the one I made from the original pattern last year (blue) and the one I put together during the meeting this afternoon.  This shows it can be done in a little over an hour.



On August 16th, Jenny Ames from Ryan's Case for Smiles will be coming to talk to our club about the program.  I hope a large number of club members will be able to come out to greet her.  This is also our Charity project week and I will have lots of fabric cut and ready to make into pillowcases.

No comments:

Post a Comment