Thursday, August 25, 2016

August 24th Club Notes

It was great to see a few of our friends who haven't been around come back again this week. Mary Nazgiewicz has been away for the summer and joined us for the first time yesterday.  Marty Rhyne and Joyce Yarborough have been flitting about but were able to join the fun this week.  Audry Phillips and her daughter Lynn Delgado have been spending their time hunting for a new house in the Villages and now that they found one, they were able to stop in yesterday.  It was great to see you all.

The blocks for our charity quilt continued to come in.  I now have 42 in the pile.  Keep them coming ladies!

We had a few visitors show up that delayed the start of the meeting just  little.  A reporter from the Daily Sun came in to interview some of us.  She is doing an article on sewing clubs in the Villages.
I gave her my card so I hope she will let me know when the article will appear.
We also had a man and a woman come in with donations for our club.  I took the boxes and will be going through and sorting the contents.  So far, I found a thread stand that I gave to the first person to claim it (Susie Pendry was the lucky one to raise her hand first.), and some strapping that I gave to Kathy Franklin for the cat hammocks she makes.  There were several pairs of scissors which I put in our drawer and will label as club property.
They also had 2 small sewing machines which they may be interested in selling, a Necchi and a Viking.  I advised them to look them up on the internet and get back to me with a price.  Here are pictures of these, in case you are interested.
 








 

Show and Tell

Kathy Jones brought in a fidget quilt to add to our stash.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kathy Nichols showed a string art piece she made with her grandchildren.  She promised to lead a demo on this at a future meeting.








 
Kathy Franklin showed her finished iron caddy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


Marti Rhyne showed a fabric bowl she made in a 6 hour session with her daughter in law. I hope they didn't have other plans for that day.

 She also showed a little zipper bag she made with her embroidery machine.









Donna Rissman wowed us with a ruler bag, a beautiful bargello quilt, and a fun use for leftover mesh as earing storage!
 



 Susie Pendry showed a great scarecrow wall hanging.















Pat Pipa and Eileen Navikas brought in fidget quilts


Nella Rose also brought in her first fidget quilt.  She was too shy to show it, but I got a picture of it anyway. ;-)





I showed 4 walker bags I made out of 1 yard of upholstery fabric I found in Joannes sale bin, a tote bag I made from a kit I had,  and an embroidered Halloween wall hanging.
























 After show and tell, Kathy Jones lead us in making mesh zipper bags.  It was lots of fun and I saw quite a few completed ones before the end of the meeting.
Next week Donna Rissman will show us how to make a prairie point wreath.  I sent out the material list in a note last night.
As the summer comes to an end our room is getting fuller.  If you bring your sewing machine you probably want to make sure you arrive by 12:30 because space is getting tight.  If you don't want to bring a machine, no problem.  We will find a place for you to sit and will usually have some non-sewing things to do.  

We currently have 42 members on our list, including a few snowbirds I am holding spots for.  Due to room size, I plan to close the club at 50 members.

No comments:

Post a Comment