Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Club Notes - February 7, 2024

We had a small group of 10 ladies at today’s meeting.  I reported that last Saturday’s Giving Club Showcase was very successful.  There were a lot of people coming through, asking about our club.  Plus I was able to network with several organizations that we could potentially work with.   Since we no longer have a connection to the Ocala Shelter, I suggest that we provide a little more support to “Hands of Mercy Everywhere (H.O.M.E.)” and “Shepherds Lighthouse”.  They ask for twin size quilts for the girls they help.   These should be at least 66” wide and 86” long.  We have so much fabric, this should be easy to do.

The other contact I made was with a nurse at Leesburg Hospital.  She is looking for quilts that can be placed on the floor for a safe place for a baby to play.  She will be sending me the requirements, but this is something I think we can easily provide.

During the show I was able to turn over 5 veterans quilts to Cornerstone Hospice and 10 quilts to Big Brothers/Big Sisters.   I also picked up 10 more center blocks for the Hospice Veteran’s quilts after today’s meeting.

Show and Tell:


Bev Minnerly made 2 backpacks 

and 5 pillowcases.



Mic Pickard showed a bunny she made for the Busy Hands/Happy Hearts upcoming sale.



Carolyn Grasso turned in several 9-patch blocks


Lisa Strahs-Lorenc showed her 2nd attempt at 9-patch blocks.  After showing me her first attempt last week, I suggested she buy a ¼” foot, and she was very happy with the result.   


She also showed a Valentine hot pad 


and a doll’s medical dress she made for another club.



Brenda Severa is making 9-patch blocks and planning to make a quilt with them herself instead of turning them.



Mary Ellen Boutin turned in several dryer sheet strip blocks.



Lynn Delgado also turned in a set of dryer sheet strip blocks.




I showed a toy frog 


and a little owl I found in the fabric scraps.


  
I also showed a quilt I made and quilted from am Egyptian panel I found, 




and some 9-patch blocks I made.

This week I brought a large bin of fabric scraps.  There are no really big pieces in this but there are plenty that could be used to make toys.  That’s something we need to pick up again soon. I also put out the dryer sheets and fabric strips, as well as the 3.5” squares.  It would be great to us as much of these as we can.

Next week the El Santiago Rec Center will be closed for maintenance all week, so we will not have a meeting.  Our next meeting is on Feb 21st.  I will send out a reminder early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment