Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Club Notes - February 21, 2024

There were 10 ladies at today’s meeting.  I got busy the last few days and forgot to send out a reminder, so that might be why there were fewer attendees.

I put out the fabric strips for the dryer sheet blocks and the 3.5” and 4.5” squares for anyone who wants to make something with them.  I figured out that it takes 48 9-patch blocks from 3.5” squares to make a twin size quilt, and 25  9-patch blocks from 4.5” squares.  I put together 6 sets of the dryer sheet blocks that were turned in and put them out for everyone to see the result of the exercise.

More 3.5” squares went out this afternoon so I expect to be able to put together a green and a blue quilt top soon. 

Show and tell: 


I started show and tell by showing the quilt I put together using the red 9-patch blocks that were turned in.   



 I also showed a fall quilt I pieced together starting with a panel I found in our donations.




Louise Stem made some 9-patch blocks



 and some pillow cases.



Carolyn Grasso also turned in some 9-patch blocks.


Lisa Strahs-Lorenc turned in a set of 4 dryer sheet blocks.



Lisa Holzhausen showed a quilt top she made for her daughter.


Brenda Severa is making a 9-patch quilt with orange squares and she showed some of them,
 She then showed some towels she embroidered using some embossed patterns from www.emblibrary.com.  


We were fascinated with the result and I have included some close-up photos in the blog.







Lynne Delgado enlarged one of our toy patterns to make a stuffed fish.


She also made a set of dryer sheet blocks.



Ellen Hein showed the first of the duffle bags she is making for the Sheriff’s Youth Ranch graduates.  We have 4 graduates this year.


She also went through her fleece stash and made 11 fleece blankets for Project S.O.S.














 




My back surgery has been postponed until March 8th due to a problem with the surgeon’s schedule, so I will still be leading the meetings for the next 2 weeks.  After that Mic will take the lead until I am allowed to drive again.

For the next few weeks we will continue to work on making 9-patch blocks (or anything else you think of) using the 3.5” and 4.5” squares.  I will also continue to bring the fabric strips for the dryer sheet blocks.

We also need to start making toys again, since we have delivered all we had to the hospital a few weeks ago.  I would like to be able to donate a bag full every quarter.

Hope to see you all next week.

Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment