Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Club Notes - Nov 8, 2023

We had a small group of 9 ladies today.  I talked about the now-closed Ocala Domestic Violence shelter.  My contact there is now working for the Marion County Services. She is using a church as her base, but I don’t know which one yet.  I will now have to make an appointment to drop off any donations, once I confirm what they need.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters reached out to the Villages Quilt Guild.  They would like to give a quilt to each child when they are matched with an adult.  Since we have so many, I gave them 5 and am adding them to the list of charities we support.

Today we talked about the list of items on Compassionate Care Hospice’s wish list.  I did an internet search and found some patterns we can use. I will send some out in separate emails, but here is a summary:

Patriotic blankets and quilts – we have already been making these.  For this group, they can be any size.

Pocket Hearts – These are small felt hearts.  They appear to be only about 2” x 2”.  The instruction has 2 pieces of felt sewn together with a blanket or whipstitch around the edges and stuffed with fiber fill. The idea is for them to give one to someone who needs a little love. I think we could also make them from different fabrics.

Palm Grip contracture cushions – I couldn’t find a pattern for these but I did find photos of ones for sale.  They are simple rectangular cushions, about 3”-4” x 2”, with an elastic strap to hold it on the hand.

Neck Support Pillows – We have a pattern for travel neck pillows and I think this is the same. Busy Hands has some of these in their inventory that they will give us to donate.

Clothing Protectors – Busy Hands makes these so we’ll skip this one.

Walker Bags – They will be happy with simpler ones than we make for Helpertunity so I will try to find alternate patterns for anyone who would prefer a simpler project.

Stuffed Animals – We have this one covered.

Catheter Covers –I  sent out the pattern I received from Compassionate Care on Sept.29th.  We also looked at a pattern Jean Peters has used.  They seem similar, the only difference is the size.

 

Show and Tell:



Bev Minnerly came with 2 finished stuffed cats and 3 more waiting to be stuffed. She also showed a gnome fabric she is going to make into a pillow for her husband.




Mic Pickard took some donated Aida cloth and embroidered some cute ornament patterns on it.  She asked for help on how to use some round frames and several of us gave her ideas.



Ceal Pedersen brought back a stuffed cat, dino, and 2 dogs with faces painted. 


 She also showed 2 quilts she made.



Louise Stem showed a special project she has been working on – washable/reusable menstrual pads for girls in poor areas of the world.  She is putting kits together with several pads, a pouch to hold a wet pad, and a bag to hold it all. 





Carolyn Grasso made several toys waiting for stuffing.


After show and tell Mic talked about how to make a catheter bag cover. I said I would try to make one as a sample for next week.   I brought out all the 9 patch blocks that have been turned in so far and laid them out for a quilt.  I also brought out the boxes of 3.5” squares and several ladies took some to make for 9 patch blocks.

This was a laid back week.  We finished earlier than usual.  Mic and I took some unsold items and the display stands to storage.  I gave Mic all the unsold Christmas items to try to sell at the Busy Hands craft sale this Saturday.  We will split the profits on anything sold there.

 

Well, that’s more than enough for this note.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment