Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Club Notes - Nov 1, 2023

 Fifteen ladies attended today’s meeting.  As our first order of business, we talked about which organizations to donate to this year.  My suggestions of $200 each to the Christian Care Center in Leesburg and Project S.O.S. (Support our Soldiers) was approved.   I asked for nominations from the floor for the 3rd recipient organization and the Humane society was suggested.  We currently donate beds to the Marion County Humane Society and the Lake County Humane Society, so I suggested that we split the remaining funds between these 2 and this was agreed.  I originally said this would be $100 to each.  However, when I got home tonight and reviewed the accounting spreadsheet, I found an error in 2 of the cell formulas. We actually have more money in the charity fund than I reported, so I propose that we give each Humane society $200.   That still leaves $384.50 in the charity fund.

I am sorting through the unsold items to see what we can donate.  Any Christmas or seasonal items left I am going to give to Mic to sell at the Busy Hands/Happy Hearts Sale.  This will be at the Coconut Cove Rec Center on Nov 13th,  We will split the profits on any items sold there.

Show and Tell:


Mic Pickard showed a fabric Christmas tree that showed up in one of our donations.  She sewed and stitched it, then found some lovely gold pins that made perfect ornaments.  She was going to sell it at the busy hands sale, but one of our members bought it on the spot.


Deb Chapman showed a quilt top from the Quilting Bees Chapter



Mary Ellen Boutin showed the quilt top she made from one of the  panels I gave out in the Spring.



Ceal Pedersen showed some trivets 


and a stuffed cat.




Anne Knoff showed a quilt she made for herself 



and a table topper.



On Tuesday we received a very large donation of fabric and batting from a lady who is moving away from The Villages. Today a lady who saw our table at the Giving Showcase last Saturday brought a bag of fabic too.   A big thank you to Anne and Mic for sorting the fabric and measuring all the large backing pieces.  We have a large supply of backings so I can match up almost any quilt top you bring me.  In addition to the fabric there were 3 large bins of batting still in my car.  Mic and I put the bins of batting in storage for now.  I separated some medium size pieces of fabric for pillow cases and put them on our closet shelf.  I took the backings and small pieces of fabric home. 

A few weeks ago I sent out the list of crafting needs that Compassionate Care Hospice sent us.  Mic has a pattern for the catheter Covers and will show us how to make them next week.

The other items on Compassionate Care’s wish list are:

Patriotic blankets and quilts,

Pocket hearts

Palm grip contracture cushions

Neck Support Pillows

Clothing Protectors

Stuffed Animals

Catheter Covers.

We already know how to make quilts and stuffed toys, so we will try to find patterns for the other items, starting with the catheter covers next week.

 See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment