Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Club Notes - April 28, 2021

 We had a great time this afternoon, with 15 members attending.  I was thrilled to welcome back several members who have been absent for a while.  Nita Hand arrived early to help me set up.  I think it's been at least 2 years since she has been able to come to a meeting.  Then Annette Reddy came in.  She has been a part time resident of The Villages for years and now has finally retired and moved here for good.  Marty Rhyne was the next one to surprise us.  She has been self-isolating but is now ready to return to our club.


Last week we put together the gifts for 9 graduates of the Florida Sheriffs' Youth Ranches.  I delivered them to Skip Brian, then checked to see if there were any last minute additions.  We found out there are 2 more girls who fulfilled the requirements and will be graduating in May.  I reached out to Ellen and Mic and they scrambled to get 2 more duffel bags and name tags to me.  I added quilts, pillowcases and zipper bags to the duffels, so they are ready to be delivered to Skip next week.

Show and Tell:


Mic Pickard and Ceal Pedersen have been working together on patriotic dryer sheet blocks and they showed their progress.



B.J. Herter showed the outer fabric of the tote bag she is making using the pattern I showed last week. She is making hers from flannel.



Ellen Hein showed two quilts she finished the binding on.  The blue one is one that was designed at a club meeting.   
 
 

The green one is made of nine-patch blocks.  Pat Pipa made the first half and I made the rest.

 

Charlotte Cecillio came with 2 more stuffed dinos.

Pat Pipa made several tote bags and a zipper bag.

 

Marty Rhyne showed 2 quilts, just waiting for the binding, one for herself




and one for her granddaughter.



I showed 3 drawstring backpacks and 4 tote bags.  One tote was made with last week's pattern and the other 3 used some dryer sheet blocks that were in our stash waiting for the appropriate project.




Carol Riggs showed a place mat she made for a friend.


Deb Chapman forgot to show the purse she made during show and tell because she was actually using it.  She let me take a photo later in the meeting.




Diane Placek brought 2 lovely green pillowcases that she didn't want to show.  They went right into one of the duffels for a graduate, along with the green 9-patch quilt.
***********************

For the rest of the afternoon most ladies worked on various projects.  Deb Chapman, Diane Placek and I sorted the 3.5" squares by color.  Deb put some black and white 9-patches together for Ann Knoff to sew together.  Diane selected some squares to use in a bow-tie quilt she is working on. 

In an attempt to get things back to normal, I re-established 2 of our activities.  First, we restarted our 50/50s to support our parties and any charity supplies we need to buy.   Second, I have restarted our activity/demo calendar.  I have committed to lead one project each month to make something for ourselves. As we did before COVID, anyone who would like to show the group how to do a project can sign up on the schedule.  I'd like to see us getting back to teaching each other.

Next week we'll be making the "You Are My SUnshine" place mat.  The project requires 2 copies of a paper-piecing template for each placemat, so I will be printing these out on Carol Doan Paper for those who signed up.  I will send out a separate email reminding everyone of who signed up for this project.  If you did not sign up yet and want to make these, please respond to the message on this that I will send out separately.

Hope to see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment