Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Club Notes - April 21, 2021

 What a great afternoon.  We had 14 members in attendance (all vaccinated BTW).  I was happy to welcome back Carol Riggs and B.J.Herter.   Audrey Phillips has also been coming for the past few weeks and it is great to see her out and about.


Our regular reporter, Michael Fortuna came as promised, and brought a photographer as well.  They apologized for the fact that the Daily Sun doesn't want to use group photos, but they did take a bunch of photos of the quilts.  They also interviewed me and I directed them to interview Ellen Hein as well, since she makes all the duffel bags.  Michael stayed for the beginning of our meeting as well to see what we do.

In addition to the quilts, pillowcases and zipper bags I brought back in, we received a donation of completed totes and zipper bags from Anne Knoff's friend Cindy Jin.

Show and Tell:
 
Pat Pipa shows a couple of tote bags she made from fabric squares 


and some zipper bags.
 

 
Deb Chapman showed a quilt top she made, starting with some of our orphan blocks.




Ceal Pedersen showed a red and green quilt she made for a family member.



Diane Placek made a drawstring back, with an old owl puppet as the front pocket.



Mary Ellen Boutin made her first walker bag.




Ellen Hein showed the latest completed quilts.
 
Mary Ellen created this quilt top.
 
Deb Chapman made this quilt top, I added the border and quilted it, and Ellen added the binding.
One of our new snowbird members, Pam Thompson made this quilt top, which I quilted and Ellen added the binding for.


Carol Riggs showed 2 completed place mats from a set she is working on.

 







I showed a tote bag I made from 6" squares and shared the pattern for this easy project.  I have attached the Pinterest pattern that I got the idea from to my email.
 
 
 
Note:  there are 2 differences between the Pinterest pattern and my version.
1.  I used fewer blocks (14 instead of the 19 in the pattern) since the shelter we make them for wants narrower tote bags.  The pattern looks like this, with each X representing a 5 or 6 inch square:

XXX
XXX
  XX
  XXX
  XXX

2. The other difference is that I don't use piping or binding.  I put the outer fabric inside the lining, right sides together, pin the handles in between the layers, and sew the lining to the outside along the top edge, leaving an opening for turning.  Once turned right side out, the lining tucks inside and it just needs a top stitch around the top to close the opening and finish the bag.  This bag is easy and can be finished in under an hour.
 **************************
After show and tell we got to work sorting the quilts and pillowcases into piles for boys vs. girls.  The group then put a quilt, a pillowcase, and 2 zipper bags into each duffle bag.  The nine bags then went into my car for delivery to Skip Bryan.

The rest of the afternoon was spent working on various projects.  Several ladies collected squares to make the tote bags I demonstrated.  A few took other size squares for future quilts.
 
Next week we will get back to making dryer sheet blocks and designing quilts.
I sent out the list of past projects in an email a few days ago, asking if anyone wants any of the projects repeated, but I haven't heard from anyone.  Even if you are a snowbird and would like to see one of these projects, let me know which one and when you think you will be back and I will try to schedule it for a week you will be here.  Starting in May, I am hoping to have at least one non-charity project each month. If there is something you'd like it will take priority in the schedule.  Otherwise, you will be at my mercy as to what projects I will subject you to.  

Hope to see you next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment