Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Club Notes - February 17, 2021

 

We had a very active group today.  There were 14 of us at today's meeting, the most we have seen in a year.    Over half (8) of the ladies present have received at least one vaccine shot.  I have heard from 16 of our members who have received the vaccine, which is about 28% of our membership and 52% of the ladies who came to most meetings before COVID.

If you have received the vaccine and haven't let me know yet, please drop me a note. 

Last week I asked if anyone knew what happened to Eileen Navikas.  I'm happy to report I received the answer that she has moved back to Pennsylvania to be near her family.

My other good news this week is that I have had a request for 8 twin quilts and 20 child quilts from Shepherd’s Lighthouse in Belleview.  I pulled a bunch of quilts out of storage after today's meeting.  Tomorrow I will look at them and wash the ones I believe will fit.  This depletes our store of twin quilts, so I am only checking the smaller ones for the best child quilts.  We will need 12 more twin quilts (minimum 55 x 72) to give to the Sheriff's Youth Ranch 2021 graduates in May.

We also have enough dog beds to make a delivery so I'm hoping to do that within a few days too.

Two of our members stopped in just for drop-offs and pickups.  Laura Tomich came in to pick up some pillowcase kits.  She thanked everyone for the get-well card. She is still undergoing extensive treatments and prayers are appreciated.

Carol Thurston came in to drop off a dog bed, fabric and batting and get some dog beds sleeves.

Show and Tell:


After the last meeting I had 22 pillowcase sets ready to be sewn. I gave them to Diana Gosselin and she returned them all completed a week later.



Eileen DiSanto turned in 2 pillowcases she finished.
 
 
 
 
 
 Jean Piccirillo made a tie tote, some pillowcases,

    
 
 
 
 and showed a piece she quilted.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Judy Mayer made 3 stuffed toys.

 

Ceal Pedersen showed the quilt top she made from ties in our stash.
 
 

Charlotte Cecillio made a couple of stuffed frogs.

 
 
 
Brenda Severa showed a bunch of UFO's that she finally completed - a basket, a table runner and a wall hanging.
 
 
 
 
 

 She also sewed a quilt top that was laid out 2 weeks ago (I believe by Deb Chapman and Mary Ellen Boutin).  Brenda spent the afternoon pinning it, using the pool noodle method.


 Mic Pickard showed a tie tote she made 

 

 


 and a towel she decorated.  Her daughter created the design in paint and Mic transferred it to printable fabric, which she then appliqued unto the towel.

 

 

Deb Chapman  finished 2 quilt blocks from the quilt block challenge I gave out last month.


Ellen Hein showed one of the duffle bags she has completed.



She also showed an alphabet quilt, which was the first quilt she ever made. 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 She then showed 2 patriotic quilts that she finished the binding on.  Judy Mayer handed these 2 in at our December 16th meeting. I quilted them and gave them to Ellen to bind in January.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 She also worked on the binding of this quilt from our assembly line.



Lastly, she showed a quilt she is working on for her grandson.  This is a work in progress, which will be delivered before we get a chance to see the completed quilt.
 

 Bev Minnerly showed the 1st quilt she ever finished, 

some zipper bags, 2 towels she added the hanging sections to, and a pillowcase.

 


 



Diane Placek turned in a pillowcase.

 


I showed a small purse I made using Kristine Poor's Explorer Bag pattern.  I also made 7 draw-string backpacks, using up a bunch of home decor fabric, the skinny parts of men's ties, and blocks from our stash for pockets.




 

*****************
Everyone got to work for the rest of the afternoon.  Ellen finished binding a couple of our assembly-line quilts.  Deb and Mary Ellen were busy designing another quilt top.  I saw Mic and Ceal taking ties apart, preparing them for another quilt.  Everyone else was working on various stuff, but I didn't get around to see what they were doing.  I'm sure we will see as things come back in.

I met with the El Santiago manager, Todd, to discuss the confusion regarding our room assignment for the 4th Wednesday of Jan, Feb & March.  It seems we are double-booked with the Boggy Creek Bear Ladies in the Hula lounge.  He suggested I talk to the lady in charge at Savannah, so I will go there sometime in the next 2 days.  I will let you know the result before our next scheduled meeting.

Lois Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment