Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Club Notes - August 5, 2020

Hi everyone.  Hope you are all staying well.

This week it was just Bev Minnerly, Diane Placek and me at El Santiago.  Debbie Chapman stopped in to drop off a stack of 9-patch blocks she put together and to pick up a few more 3.5" squares to make some more.


Ellen Hein sent me a photo of a bag she made for a friend of her daughter-in-law.  The fabric was from the lady's favorite skirt.


Charlotte Cecillio sent me a photo of her latest work in progress.  





When I got to my cart at the end of the meeting I found completed pillowcases that Laura Tomich left me. 

One of the rec center staff, Rose, also came and offered us an afghan, a quilt that needs some minor repair, and a quilt top, all made by her mother. I asked her to put them in my cart as well.  They can all be donated to the Ocala shelter.


Diane Placek came with a project she needs help with.  The Lion's club has requested masks for people who need to have their mouths visible for lip-reading.  They sent a pattern for a flat mask with a anti-fog plastic window.  Diane found several problems with the design and is looking for help, both with ideas to make the masks better and for help in fullfilling the request for 120 masks.

The instructions were to mark the square on each piece, draw an X and cut the fabric back for the place the plastic will go.
She made several variations including one with darts.





We suggested a couple of modifications - using a larger fabric and darts or pleats on the bottom so the mask tucks under the chin and elastic along the top to hold it closer to the face above the nose.  Other suggestions are welcome.  The Lion's club will supply materials.  If you have suggestions or would like to help make some of these, contact Diane.

At our last meeting we matched pairs of 8" squares to make sets of half-square triangles.  Bev and I each took a bunch home to stitch.  Bev came back with hers ready to go.

During the afternoon Bev and Diane took some of these and laid them out for a quilt top design.



I was glad I decided to bring my sewing machine this week because I was able to sew this quilt top together while they went to work on another quilt top design, using the 6.5" squares I brought. 



On Monday I stopped at Ellen's house and did a quilt swap with her, adhering to social distancing.  She left the completed quilts at the edge of her garage for me to pick up and I left her 7 more to add binding to.  Here are the latest completed quilts:



















I will continue to host meetings every Wednesday for anyone who would like to come out and work on charity projects.  As always, if you want a project to keep you occupied at home, just let me know and I will either deliver supplies to your door or you can pick them up from my cart with no contact on Wednesday afternoons. Whatever you decide, stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment