Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Club Notes - August 19, 2020

 This was the largest group we've had in a while - a whole 8 of us!!  We are allowed up to 24 but I'd prefer a limit of 12, 1 per table.  That seems safe for now.  I have been watching the COVID stats and it appears that Florida hit a peak in July .  It looks like it is trending down a bit now.  I am praying this is true.

Today I did a repeat demo on how to pin a quilt top, batting and binding by rolling the layers onto  pool noodles with PVC or curtain rod inserts for stability.  Marti Rhyne worked with me to learn this method.  By the end of the afternoon I pinned 4 quilts.  I hope to have them all quilted and turned over to Ellen for binding by next week.


Bev Minnerly and Diane Placek sorted through a box of fabric that came from the Pillowcase dress ladies.  

Ellen Hein and Debbie Chapman got to work laying out 8" squares into quilt designs.  They completed 3 and Ellen took them home to sew the tops.

Deb McCuliston helped B.J. Herter pin her Baltimore quilt.  After working on this for a very long time, she is now close to completing it. She was planning to enter this quilt in the 2021 Quilt Show, but the show has been cancelled.  Hopefully she will be able to enter it in 2023.

Show and Tell:

 

Bev showed some more completed doll clothes 

 

and a bunch of completed drawstring backpacks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 Ellen took home the box of 6.5" squares last week and turned in 3 quilt tops today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 Ellen also showed the dust mop she made from leftover fleece.



 

 








I took a break from charity quilts and finished my 2020 row by row quilt.  Since COVID has put a damper on shop hops I looked at all the quilt shop patterns around the country and decided to order row kits from Alaska.  I showed the finished quilt.

 

 

 

************************************

 

 

I gave 4 quilts to Ellen for binding today, so we'll probably see them completed next week. 

 

 

Last week  I attempted to inventory all the items I have in storage waiting to be donated. I counted 15 throw quilts and 31 that are about twin size. There were 8 drawstring backpacks, 10 stuffed toys, 45 zipper bags of various sizes.  I didn't get a count of pillowcases but know there are 2 bags full in storage plus 7 that are matched to large quilts.  This doesn't count what was turned in today. There are at least a dozen more quilts in progress. I am still waiting to find out what the Sheriff's Youth Ranch needs but I have faith that we will find places to donate all of them.

Hope to see you next week.

Lois Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment