Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Club Notes July 22, 2020

Another week gone by and most of us are still in self-isolation, or something close to that.  I am still only going out among people for groceries and being very careful with that.  I have been going up to Silver Springs on Mondays, but my volunteer job there is in a back room away from any people except 2 of my assistants.  The other 2 ladies who work with me are coming in on alternate days so we can continue to keep social distancing.

Today there were only 3 of us at El Santiago.  We had plenty of room to work without getting too close.

Before the meeting, Ann Knoff met me by my cart and turned over a bunch of bags of fabric. I left the larger pieces in my cart and will look at them later.  There were lots of what looked like dog bed scraps, so I brought those bags inside to work on. 

Show and Tell:


Bev Minnerly brought the doll clothes she completed this past week.




Deb Chapman has been making her own seasonal yard flags and she showed her latest "Spring" flag.


In my last note I mentioned that I am putting together kits to make drawstring Backpacks for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch kids.  One of the suggestions was to put an a pocket on the outside of each backpack, both for quick access and to dress the plain bags up a bit.  I made some outside pockets for these kits, some embroidered with fun sayings.



When I left the meeting I found a bag B.J. Herter left in my cart.  It contained 7 dog beds and 2 baby quilts, complete with matching stuffed dinos.




************************
After show and tell we went through the fabric scraps, pulling out some larger pieces we can re-purpose and filling 6 small to medium sized dog beds with the rest..  When we finished that, Bev and Deb began looking through the box of 8" squares and making matched pairs. Bev took some home to sew them into half-square triangle blocks and I took the rest.

I took the matched 10" squares home last week and sewed a quilt top together with them.  You will see the result in a few weeks when it is complete.

I also spent time this afternoon ironing a string of black and gray fabric strips in half.  Last week I sewed all the 2" black and gray strips together in one long strip.  Once folded in half and ironed I cut the strip into 2 yd lengths to make straps for the drawstring bags.    I'll fold them again and sew the edge closed to make the straps.  By next week I should have the kits ready to hand out, along with instructions, for anyone wanting to put some of these together.

Stay safe and hope to see you soon.

Lois Rose, Sewing 'N More Club Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment