Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Club Notes - Nov 6th, 2019

I can tell it's autumn. The number of attendees at our meetings is increasing each week as our friends come back from their summer travels.  It was a fun afternoon.

I had a couple of announcements today.  Last Saturday I worked at the Florida State Parks table for Government Day, as a Silver Springs State Park volunteer. Before the event began I was able to visit tables in the Marion county and Sumter county rooms.   In the past I told everyone about the Sumter county program where you put your important medical info in a pill bottle in the refrigerator and put a sticker on your front window to let 911 responders know to look in the refrigerator.  When I talked about it last time, several ladies who live in Marion county told us that Marion county responders didn't honor that.  Well, on Saturday I found out that Marion county has their own system.  It involves a red magnetic pocket that you put on the side of your refrigerator.  A paper with the pertinent medical info goes in the pocket.  Any of you who live in Marion county can get one of these from the Marion county sheriff's office.  I picked up a couple at the event and have one left that I will give to the first person who asks me next week.

The other item I mentioned was that I found out about the Happy Harvest quilt shop hop that will run from Nov 22 - Dec 7th.  I've attached the flyer.  I am going to plan a day trip to get to as many of the shops as I can, and can fit 5 more in my van.  I will be sending out a separate email with the date and times along with an invite for anyone who wants to go along.

Eileen DiSanto told the group that the brick that was purchased in her husband's memory will be dedicated on Veteran's Day, at 10AM in Veterans' Memorial Park. She invited anyone who could to come.

Show and Tell:

Mic Pickard was busy making a bunch of cuddly red bears. Sue Campbell helped her do the final stuffing and turned in 9 bears.



Lu Karatzas did some crocheting and turned in some nice crocheted tote bags.
She also modeled a lovely jacket that Kiki Mitraco made and gave to Lu when she admired it.



Pat Pipa came with 2 stuffed scrappy bunnies.


 Marty Rhyne and Alice Meunier attended a serger class at The Sewing Studio of Lady Lake and made a lovely table centerpiece.


Donna Rissman showed the Autumn border fabric table runner she finished.




Bev Minnerly turned in a dog bed and showed the hanging kitchen towel she finished from her UFO pile.



Ellen Hein made one of her wonderful fleece blankets.  This one is a special order for her granddaughter.


Kiki Mitraco made 4 potholders from fabric scraps and a yo-yo flower.  She gave a brief explanation of how these are made to the group.






I showed a finished Honor Flight quilt.  Too bad Charlotte Cecilio couldn't be at today's meeting - She made most of the blocks for this quilt and helped put the final design together.  Ann Korff sewed the sets of 4 matching dryer sheet blocks together and handed them off to me.  All I had to do was add sashing and finish the quilt.




********************************


B.J. Herter gave today's demo on how to make a collage design from a basic shape of your choice and little scraps of fabric.  I will send out the directions in a separate email, since I still have to copy them.





After the demo several ladies helped me sort the box of fabric strips by color family. We now have most of our strips organized.  Besides dryer sheet blocks, a suggestion was made that we make some strip race quilts.  I will talk about this, probably at the Nov 20th meeting.

Next week Donna Rissman will show us how to make a duel purpose Mat carrier/Ironing Pad bag.  I'll send that info out in a separate email as well.

Have a great week.  See you next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment