Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Club Notes - July 31, 2019

We had a fun time this afternoon and some great food.  Everything I tasted was fantastic.  I tried a new ice breaker quiz called "Never have I Ever"  to get to know each other a little better.  It may be because I took the basic questions and added my own, but it turned out no one had done more of the items on the list than I had.  Deb Chapman came closest with only one more item that she hadn't done.

We also had a multiple choice sewing pun quiz and almost everyone got 9 out of the 10 answers, but no one got all 10.  Shakespeare provided a trick question.Of course, we finished with Bingo and I gave away lots of prizes.

************************

Show and Tell:


Charlotte Cecilio made 8 red, white and blue dyer sheet blocks, perfectly coordinated so they can be put together in sets of 4 in a quilt.




Carol Riggs showed a bear and a wreath she made.  She also presented Eileen DiSanto with a card documenting a brick several friends contributed to in her husband's honor.





Marilyn Awkerman came as a guest this week and showed a table runner she made.



Pat Pipa made some teddy bears and showed the quilt top she put together from a set of squares I provided last week.



B.J. Herter also made a quilt top from a set of squares I provided last week.


Mic Pickard finished a colony of bunnies and a frog.



Eileen DiSanto showed a photo of the Cornerstone Hospice quilt her husband received and the accompanying certificates.



I showed a quilt I made from some of our donated fabric, and a Cornerstone Hospice quilt which Debbie Chapman turned in last week and I quilted.



Debbie also showed a bear she made.



**********************


I had a few announcements this week.  First, we heard Nita Hand and Ellen Hein are both back in The Villages and will be joining our club meetings again soon.


Brenda Severa's mother passed away this past week and we sent a condolence card from the club.

Carol Riggs is downsizing her sewing room in preparation for a move to a smaller home here in The Villages.  I will send a separate email about the sale she is having.

Nella Rose is moving out of The Villages to a smaller retirement community in Mount Dora.  She came today to say goodbye and give us some of her UFO's 

Ellen Hein forwarded a note to me about a major dog rescue underway by Poodles and Pooches Rescue.  I will send the info in a separate email for anyone interested in contributing.  I called the woman collecting items in The Villages, hoping we could help by giving them a bunch of dog beds.  At first she said she would come for them, but when I got home tonight she called and said the organization won't accept fabric filled dog beds.  They say dog beds go with the dogs to adopting families and must be washable.  They said fabric filled ones get too heavy when washed and don't dry well.    The groups we have given the dog beds to only use them in the cages, discard them when they get too worn and don't worry about washing them, so it's never a problem.  The lady collecting said she would check again and call me tomorrow to let me know whether or not they will take them.  If not, I will give them to the South Lake Animal League as I had originally planned.  I currently have 37 waiting to be delivered.

I now have in my possession 6 quilt tops waiting for batting, backing and quilting.  The more it rains, the more I will get done, but if there is a nice day, I am off for some outdoor time. 

Next week I will demonstrate how to make a border fabric table runner.  I will send a separate email with the supply list, but if you are looking at fabric before I get that out, look for a fabric that has a pattern at least 9"-12" from bottom to top.  The length of the repeat is not important.  Don't bother looking at Joann's, they don't carry border fabrics.  Look in actual quilt shops or online.

Hope to see you next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment