Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Club Notes - July 3, 2019

I made it home only minutes before the brunt of the storm hit by my house this afternoon. This seems to be a regular occurance.  I pull into the garage and the downpour begins.  Timing is everything!

Somehow the Show and Tell list didn't make it home with me today, so I'm doing that and the other notes I tried to write on it from memory. My apologies if I miss something.

The 3 area quilt shops are all having 4th of July sales this week:

A Quilting Pallet is giving 35% off on any 1yd or more cut from any bolt in the store through Thursday 2PM. I heard that the Sewing Studio and Sharky's are closed on the 4th but are both having sales on Friday. However, I can't find info on either on their web pages.

Show and Tell:


 Mic Pickard makes aprons for the waitresses at Darrel's, and had a special request for Flamingos and pineapples from one of the ladies.  Instead of trying to pick a fabric, Mic found some great embroidery patterns.  See the photo for the result.
She also made a stack of patriotic dryer sheet blocks.



Bev Minnerly found her missing flag block and showed it off today.  She also finished her usual stack of doll clothes.




Carol Thurston turned in a dog bed and showed 2 quilt tops.  The first was from some of our collected blocks.  The second is a scrap block quilt.




Lynn K. showed a quilt ready for pinning that she is making as a wedding gift.


Linda Parr made 2 zipper bags for the ranch kids.





*************************


Today I showed how to make a very easy jewelry tray for overnight stays away from home.  It folds flat for packing and has snap up sides to keep jewelry, keys, etc. safe on a nightstand or desk in a hotel room. 

To make this you need 2 fabric squares, a matching size piece of batting and 4 snap sets.  I use a 6" square, but you can make this larger if you like. 

- Layer a 6" square fabric with a matching piece of batting. Measure in 1" from each corner in both directions and .5" in to mark snap placement. Sew the corresponding snap parts on either side of each corner.
- Place 2nd 6" fabric on the batting and fabric with the snaps, right sides of fabric together.  
- Sew around 3 sides, using scant 1/4 inch seam, being careful to sew outside the snaps. - Clip excess fabric at corners and turn right sides out.  Top stitch close to edge around all 4 sides, closing the opening.  - Stitch a square in the center of the piece, at least .5" below the snaps, so you create 1" or higher side walls once the snaps are closed. - Quilt the inside of the inner square to stiffen the base.

**************
I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so Pat Pipa will be running the meetings.  Pat will lead a demo next week on how to make pho-chenille potholders.  I will send out a supply list in a separate email.

Enjoy July and I'll see you in 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment