Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Club Notes - May 8, 2019

We had a small but very productive group today.  In response to the request from the Villages Regional Hospital Auxiliary, our project today was to make stuffed frogs for them to give to children in distress coming into the hospital.  We finished 11 frogs, which I delivered to the hospital on my way home, and several ladies took some home to finish.  If anyone would like to make these or any other stuffed toys for the hospital auxiliary, just bring them to any of our meetings and I will see that they get delivered.

Show and Tell:

Pat Pipa showed a bag she made.  It was made with tubes stuffed with batting and she said it was difficult to sew, but it came out lovely. She also finished a frog before the meeting and a couple more during.




Ellen Hein made 3 more sleep sacks for her grandchildren.






Donna Rossman wasn't here but she sent 2 frogs she made.



Alice Meunier made 3 pillowcases.



I made a frog and a purse.  The purse was from the "Paris Bag" pattern and the instructions were ok until I got to the point where it was time to put the zipper in and put it together.  The instructions for this were very confusing and I wound up making up my own way to finish it by adding binding-like pieces to the top to sandwich the zipper between.


**********************************************

A couple of our group made it to the Sheriff's Youth Ranch ice cream social on Sunday and brought back some info.  It seems that, in addition to the kids that live there, they hold week-long summer camps for kids all through the summer.  One thing they need is ditty bags for these kids to but their things (like toothbrush, comb,, etc.) in.  We have some sturdy sample fabric pieces that are the right size for these and Ellen is going to make a sample and show us how in 2 weeks.   

I had a request for a repeat of the microwave bowl pattern, so that will be our project for next week.  It's a good time to make a bunch of these to have on hand as gifts.  Remember, you need 100% cotton thread and fabric for these.  I have a bolt of the correct batting (Wrap N Zap), so if you don't have any you can buy some from me for $2 a 12" square.  The pattern I have is for a cereal/soup bowl, but you can make these for any shape or size bowl you put in the microwave.  If you have a different size bowl you want to make one for, bring it next week and I'll show you how to adjust the pattern.

Before today's meeting I received a call from a Daily Sun reported.  She is to do a write-up on our club.  This will be in the section where they do short profiles of 7 clubs activities during the past week and I believe it runs in Saturday's paper, so look for it.

Hope to see you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment