Thursday, November 29, 2018

Club Notes - Nov 28, 2018

Sorry for the delay in sending out these notes.  I really have to take some  time to read the manual for my camera.  Somehow I set it to "post focus" , which turned out to mean it recorded a one second video instead of a still picture each time.  This meant I had to extract a still photo from each video.  I guess I have to let go of my techie pride and actually read the manual to figure out how to set and unset these crazy features.

We had a great turnout this week, actually had to pull out all 6 of our extension hubs.

Announcements:
Nita Hand is recovering well from her first knee replacement surgery.  She is scheduled to have her other knee replaced on Dec. 11th and , if all goes well, hopes to be back with us in February.

The Villages has decided that quilt and sewing clubs should not use their own irons or ironing boards.  They will supply approved equipment to each rec center.  El Santiago will be getting these within the next few weeks.  The Sheriff's Youth Ranch is going to have a program to teach girls at the ranches to sew, so I will be giving the ironing boards and irons we have to them. 

Show and Tell.




Mic Pickard was busy.  She made a holder for her embroidery hoops, a duffel bag and a set of ice cream pint holders for a friend.









(She's having fun with her new embroidery machine.)









 

Diane Placek made several origami fabric ornaments (
demo next fall)



Donna Rissman made a lovely Menorah wall hanging and a 10 degree wedge table runner. (demo to come).





Eileen DiSanto showed 2 quilts.  


The second was planned to be the back for the first, but it came out so nice her husband said it should be a separate quilt,.






She also finished 12 Star Wars themed place mats for the Sheriff's youth ranch.








Carol Riggs turned in a dog bed and 10 place mats for the Sheriff's Youth Ranch.




Ellen Hein made 2 sleep sacks for her grand children and a pair of pajama pants to go with a pajama top she received.






Pat Pipa showed a quilt she made from blocks and r club donated to our club.  This quilt is going to the Panhandle.




I finished a queen size quilt top Eileen Navakas gave us a few weeks ago. I also created a  twin size quilt from the red-white-blue drier sheet blocks created by our club members.  Both of these will go to the Panhandle.




Over the past few months I have been working on a quilt for my great-niece.  She is a music teacher, a book worm, and a cat lover, so all those elements are included in the quilt.

***************************************

B.J. gave a great demo on making a snowman pillow.  I saw a lot of ladies working on variations of this project and am looking forward to seeing the results. .

Those not working on demos helped me go through the 5 bags of fabric we received from the 4H club's excess.  We separated the fabric into large, potential backings, under 2 yd pieces for pillow cases, flannels, and small pieces to be cut into blocks.
Next week the 4H club will be giving me batting that they don't need.  I don't know how much but it may be  a lot. I also received a donated queen size batting this week and we still have much of our latest bolt of 90" wide batting, so we are in good shape for batting. 
Next week is charity project week and Lynn will be showing us how to make a quick checkerboard quilt.  I will send out supply requirements in a separate email.



No comments:

Post a Comment