Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Club Notes - July 11, 2018

What a fun afternoon.  We welcomed 3 new club members and Sue Campbell was able to join us again.  Sue's sister Jane Swafford has found a new home at Buffalo Ridge Assisted Living and would love to have visitors there.

In other member news, I talked to Van Hathaway on Tuesday.  She very much appreciated receiving our get well card this week as she was feeling pretty low.  The doctors now think all her back pains are related to a cyst behind her knee, and she has been given some hope for treatment.  Lets keep the prayers coming for her recovery.

There are quite a few others on our member list who we haven't seen in a while.  If you are having tough times, please drop me a note and let me know what's going on so we can add you to our prayer list.  

Show and Tell:

Diana Gosselin brought in 2 beautiful quilt tops for our charity efforts.  The first one used a Christmas panel and Christmas fabric found in our donation piles.  The second used a lovely Native American theme.






Eileen DiSanto finished her fold-able fabric box, 2 hanging kitchen towels, and a cover for her toaster.







Lynn Kluczynski took over a box of 7 inch squares from Carol Coyne and wowed us by turning them into 4 quilt tops.


















Nita Hand turned a set of dryer sheet blocks into a twin quilt with fidget elements.




Pat Pipa showed her finished foladable Fabric box, several of the draw-string bags (requested by the Ocala shelter), and 3 fidget walker bags.







Nella Rose completed her twin fidget quilt in a lovely cheery pink.  We now have all 5 of the twin size quilts that were requested by the nursing home representative who contacted me.  I called her when I got home and she is going to pick them up tomorrow evening.



New club member Mic Pickard has been working hard making Christmas stockings for family members, extended family members and neighbors.  She is busily using up all her Christmas fabric stash and loving it.


 I have been trying out some bag patterns on my embroidery machine.  I made a small rectangle bag to hold my camera (with 2 pockets for a spare battery and a small tripod), a larger rectangle bag, and a frog bag (just to see how they would stitch out). I learned a few lessons on what not to do in the process,I also showed the Row-by_row quilt I made for this year's "Sew Musical" theme, and explained what the annual row-by-row shop hop and contest is all about.



*********************************

During project time we had lots of stuff to have fun with.  Some ladies made pillowcases, some searched through the boxes of pre-cut blocks to make charity quilts or to made a piece for next week's quilted-hug shawl project.  I spent the afternoon cutting up more of our fabric stash.

A lady came in at the beginning of our meeting with a ginormous bag of batting scraps.  I have started going through it and much of it will go right into dog beds, but there is a lot  that is wide enough to find a use.  For those of you who have embroidery machines, much of this is perfect for embroidered blocks.  Although I would like it to go to charity projects, I know that we'd never realistically be able to use it all if I limited it to that.  So, if you have a project that needs some small batting pieces, let me know.  I have rolls between 3-10 inches wide that I will give you. If you want to make a charity quilt, all the better.

I will be away next week, pursuing my row-by-row obsession.  Pat Pipa will be running the meeting in my place and Lynn Kluczynski will be doing the Quilted-Hug Shaw demo.  The box of pillowcase fabric and all the pre-cut blocks are stored at the rec center and available for anyone who wants to work on something else.  Plus, you can come and work on your own project, as always.  No rules on what you can create, just come and have fun.  I'll see you in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment