Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Club Notes - June 27, 2018

I think a lot of you are either away for summer vacations or entertaining grandchildren.  There were only 9 of us at the pot-luck this afternoon, but there was still plenty of food and fun.

Last Friday-Saturday I started my annual row-by-row quest. Ray and I did an overnight trip to the Jacksonville area.  We decided to get to one shop just over the border into Georgia and I'm so glad.  The shop we found is "Beyond Fabric", and I was amazed at their prices and selection.  All the cotton fabric was priced under $7, and they also carry an assortment of other kinds of fabric, including a back room with rolls of outdoor, upholstery, and marine grade fabrics.  They had some really cute kid's fabrics and, since we have not been getting much usable for pillowcase bodies, I used some of our 50-50 funds and bought some of it. It's in the pillowcase supply box now.  

Show and Tell:

Eileen DiSanto was so happy to figure out that she could run her sewing machine using a button on the machine instead of the foot peddle.  She got her project pile out and made a big stack of microwave bowls.  She also showed the tied fleece elephant quilt she finished.






Pat Pipa finished the twin size fidget quilt she's been working on. She made the back fun too, using a column of strips in the center to extend the size of the backing. 


  She also finished converting a bunch of wine bags into the draw-string bags the Ocala shelter has asked for.


I finished 2 of the foldable fabric boxes.  These were great fun.








Then I showed 2 easy projects that I'm scheduling as club projects.
First, the "Colorful Table Runner" which uses fat quarters and a skewed block design to make it more interesting. This is currently scheduled as an August 1 project.


Then on Aug 15th I'm planning to demo a simple mug rug pattern which can be made with the focus fabric of your choice.




*********************
We had fun with BINGO Lois Style after show and tell. I have been picking up little prizes here and there and the big hit prize was a pen with a ruler and a level on the side. I may have to try to get some more of these.

There will be NO Meeting next week, since it falls on July 4th.  Everybody enjoy a week off.
On July 11th, Lynn will be showing how to make the quilted hug shawl. I'm attaching the instructions to my email again in case you misplaced it.  If you are going to do this, you should try to do steps 1 and 2 ahead of time.  Please come out for Lynn's demo if you can.  This project takes a little more time that most of the things we work on, so it is scheduled for 2 weeks.

My current plans have me away on a panhandle shop hop that week, so Pat Pipa will be running the meeting that day.  I will see you on the 18th.

No comments:

Post a Comment