Thursday, April 5, 2018

Club Notes - April 4, 2018

What a fun afternoon! Great show and tell, great discussions and sharing, and lots of activity.

First  announcements.- B.J. informed me that Donna Rissman was scheduled for gall bladder surgery today.  I am praying that this solved the problems that have been plaguing her this year and she returns to our group soon.

- I reported the results of my survey questions.  I received feedback from 27 of our members, and there were enough people who would not attend meetings any further north that I have decided not to request room at the new rec center.  I will continue to put in requests for a consistent room, but for next year I will drop our reservations for the room at Mulberry.  We will go back to skipping the 2nd and 4th weeks of Jan, Feb and Oct, and instead try to plan some outings for those weeks.

Show and Tell:


Eileen DiSanto showed her completed 5 Easy Pieces quilt






Lynn showed a bunch of different tote bags she made.
























Pat Pipa made a couple of large and small bags for the shelter


Nella Rose showed a body pillow case she made from t-shirts left over from making a t-shirt quilt.



Lu Karatzas made some drawstring bags and crocheted a red, white and blue afghan for Hospice.







Ellen Hein showed a baby quilt she finished.



Carol Riggs showed some pillowcases she made, embroidered oven mitts, and some towels she embroidered as a gift.






I showed 2 charity quilts I finished.  The first was made from sets of 4 squares I found already sewn together. 

 The second one was mostly put together by Pat Pipa.  I just added another row to make it longers, put on borders and let my embroidery machine do the quilting.
*****************

B.j. made an iron caddy and asked how to fold it closed so I gave a quick demo on that.

Our project today was a small version of the gypsy bag.  I demonstrated how to put one together and assisted those who were working on this project.  I had made a guess at dimensions for this small version and it worked, but we agreed that something a little bigger, in between the large size in the pattern and my guesstimate would be more practical.  However, once you understand this simple pattern, you can make it any size you want.

For those not making the bags, there was plenty to do.  I brought in a box of 3" and 3.5" squares and several ladies went to work putting them in matched sets of 4, to be sewn together later.  We also received 5 bags of fabric and several ladies sorted through them.  Some of it went right into a dog bed but much of it is heavier fabric that will be good for duffle bags for the shelter or dog beds.

By the way, I brought 23 dog beds, a bag full of towels, and some dog pull toys to the Humane Society of Lake County in Umatilla last Friday.  

We are going to switch our schedule around a little over the next few weeks.  Donna Rissman was scheduled to give next week's demo, but she had gall bladder surgery yesterday.  I am switching our charity week to next week and we'll figure out the rest of the schedule later.   I will bring boxes with various size blocks for those who would like to try to design a quilt.  The red, white and blue strips for the dryer sheet blocks will be available, as will the box of pillowcase fabrics.  I may also bring some of the fabric waiting to be cut.  Something for everyone.

Hope to see you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment