Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Club Notes - April 18, 2018

We were really happy to see Donna Rissman back with us today, although she really needs to take it easy a few more weeks.  Donna we want you to heal so you can be back to your lovely, energetic, fun self.

Great, easy demo today.  Bev showed us how to add a hanger to any kitchen towel.    I know I want to add them to all my towels to keep them from sliding onto the floor.

In my announcements today I made a small error.  I said we had donated over $2,000 worth of items to the various organizations we support. That was an estimate, since I hadn't had a chance to add up the actual numbers.  Based on the values the quilt guild uses, we have donated $3,042.80 worth of fabric goods between 3/21 and today.  This does not include the soaps, toothpaste, etc. dropped in the bag for the Ocala shelter.  It also does not include dog toys and old towels given to the Animal Shelters, since all of those are not crafted items I can assign values to.  I did not start tracking until March, so the dog beds I delivered earlier did not get into this count.  I plan to keep better records from now on.

3/21/2018  Sheriff's Youth Ranch $    435.50 
3/23/2018  Helpertunity $    140.00 
3/27/2018  Hospice Veterans' Quilts $    400.00 
3/29/2018  Humane Society of Lake County $    348.00 
4/9/2018  Ocala Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Center $ 1,719.30


Show and Tell






Bev Minnerly started us off with more of her great doll clothes.

Diana Gosselin took a stack of fabric home last week and came back with 20 pillowcases!


Lu Karatzas took our gypsy bag project a step further.  She made the small one we demoed and then made a second one that is halfway between the size of the little one and the original.  This turned out to be a great size!



Nella Rose showed a tote bag she made and then showed the great t-shirt quilt she had tucked inside.  She made this for her niece and it came out great.











Carol Thurston made her first pillowcase and some dog bed cases



Carol Riggs made pillow cases and a shirt for her senior games table tennis team.  (She is competing this week.)









Pat Pipa made a pillow case, dog beds, and some fidget walker bags.




Eileen DiSanto showed a pillowcase she made.


Laura Tomich showed how she modified the gypsy bag and made a cute purse.


************************



After Bev's demo we had our usual flurry of activity.  

Diana continued her efforts to cut and match up pillowcase fabrics. 

Laura Paulk helped me by sewing white strips between quilt blocks we organized last week. 

 After making their towel toppers, Lu, Bev, Pat, and Nella stepped up to help me sort out and cut up several bags of scraps that were mostly t-shirt fabric. (Sorry, if I missed anyone - I was focused on cutting and taking home dog beds instead of bags of unsorted scraps.)  

I have a good pile of finished dog beds at home now but I plan to wait another week before delivering them.

This week one of my great-nieces is visiting Orlando with her boyfriend and we are going to try to spend some time with them at one of the parks.  When I'm not visiting with them I am really hoping to finish a quilt I have been working on since January.

Next week I will bring a pattern for a cat door hanging decoration.  I'll send info on that in a separate email.

No comments:

Post a Comment