Thursday, September 22, 2016

Club Notes for September 21, 2016

This week started on a high note, with the article in the Daily Sun about our club, written by Ciara Varone.  I think she captured the true spirit of the club and the photo of the club members was great!  As a result of the article, several new ladies came to check us out. An old friend, Ellen Hein, is back in the Villages and she stopped by to pay her dues and make sure she is on our member list. She couldn't stay, and is traveling again for the next week or so, but she will be joining us once she settles in. Our membership is growing and we are rapidly approaching our cut-off number of 50 members.  We now have 42 paid members, 2 more snowbirds I am holding spots for, and 5 more prospective members who may be joining next week.  That means, if those 5 all pay their dues next week, there will only be room for one more member before we close membership.

***
Show & Tell

I was please to see how many of you brought in finished table runners from last week's project. Pat Pipa, Carol Riggs, Kathy Jones, B.J. Herter, Susie Pendry and I all showed finished table runners.  If anyone missed this project and would like to try it, just bring your border fabric in one week and I will show you how it's done.  It will only take 10 minutes for me to show you and we can do that after the scheduled demo for that week.  Just let me know in advance so I can bring my 60 degree ruler.
Pat Pipa
  Pat used a lovely Autumn print.                   Carol and Kathy used the same fabric, but each came out with subtle differences.  Both lovely.
Carol Riggs

Kathy Jones
B.J. Herter
Susie Pendry

 B.J.  choose a fun Halloween theme.



Susie went with roses





Lois Rose


I made mine reversible, Spring and Fall









In addition to the table runners:



Pat Pipa brought a fidget quilt
















Lu Karatzas showed the finished quilt for granddaughter(?) Lilly that she showed in progress last week.











Bev Minnerly showed more doll clothes she made from donated fabric.











Marty Ryne showed a stuffed monkey she embroidered with birth info for a friend's new grandson.












B.J. showed her finished "tuxedo" wine bottle caddy.








Eileen Navikas showed children's jeans she made for her sister to take to Haiti and donated a quilt she made from fabric scraps.








I showed a "rain" quilt I finished from some of the 2015 row by row kits I collected.

****



Thanks to everyone who helped me get all the boxes of donated charity supplies in and out of our meeting room.   Everyone dived into the boxes to select items for the various charity efforts we support.  Several fidget quilts were completed during the meeting and some more (including mine) were taken home to be finished.  Some waker caddies and cat hammocks were also turned in.  I also saw several ladies working on more of the drier sheet quilt blocks.   A few of us got together around a pair of tables and laid out completed quilt blocks and we found we had enough for 2 twin size quilts, plus more left over.  A bunch of the leftover ones were red, white and blue, so we asked those who are still enjoying making these to sew some more with this color scheme.  We will put together a patriotic theme quilt with these.

I also turned over one Hospice quilt this afternoon and got 5 more of the Hospice center blocks for anyone who would like to make one of these.  To refresh your memory, these are 36-40 inch square quilts, with the 12 inch Hospice block in the middle, that are given to the families of 20 yr veterans who were cared for at Hospice.

I have lost track, but if anyone still has one of these blocks and plans to make a quilt, can you let me know.  There is no rush to complete it, I just want to know who has them.

Next week's project is the microwave potato bag and Marty Rhyne will be leading the demo.  I will send out the supply list in a separate email.

No comments:

Post a Comment