Friday, July 8, 2016

July 6th Club Notes

We had another fun meeting this week. To start, I brought in all the charity project supplies we inherited from Fabric Fun for anyone who wants to make Fidget (aka Activity) quilts for area memory care patients, charity quilts, dog beds, cat hammocks, etc. I will be bringing these boxes of charity supplies the first meeting of each month.   PLEASE, take anything you think you can use for any charity project. That includes projects for other groups such as Busy Hands.  If the fabric is going to a good cause, it is available for you to take.

Show and Tell:
 
Marty Rhyne showed a cute bag that she embroidered for Susie Pendry. The embroidery is of a blond in a little sports car.  Susie drives an adorable mini-cooper, so this is perfect for her.







Chris Leedy showed a great autumn leaves table runner she made. Lovely work!

Sue Campbell's granddaughter Caroline just completed sewing camp and she brought the items she made there for us to see.  This talented little girl made a pillow out of fabric squares, a heart, a turtle, a monster, and a bag to hold them all.  We were all impressed to see her pull item after item out of the bag.







Bev Minnerly showed 2 small square bottomed totes she made. These are great projects, and we hope she will lead us in making these at a future meeting.







Eileen DiSanto completed her Heart Flag from last week's project.  It's always nice to see completed projects come back.  Donna RIssman suggested that this might be a project the Shoebox group might want to pick up on as a fundraising project.  This would be great.  I think we should be happy to share ideas with other groups doing good work.










I showed a "Morning Glory Farm" quilt I have been working on off and on for the past 6 months.  This will be a gift for my nephew's wife.  I am also working on a quilt for my nephew, which I hope to complete in time to give both by Thanksgiving.






After show and tell Eileen DiSanto led a project to create tea bag caddies.  This cute project is designed for tea bags, but the caddie could be used to hold other items, such as a needle assortment, id cards, etc. Use your imagination!  I saw quite a few of these completed during the afternoon. I know mine will be used for traveling with the chamomile  tea I enjoy at night.
Nita Hand also made a suggestion to me.  She told me that Busy Hands makes walker/wheelchair caddies for area nursing homes. One of the facilities I delivered fidget quilts to a few months ago asked for these.  They have 125 beds and a constant turnover.  Since we really don't need another project, I told Nita that if she puts Ocala Oaks on Busy Hands' list, I will gladly deliver any they can make for this facility.  I am in Ocala every Monday, so this is on my way home.
Next week's project is pillowcases. This is not something I have done much of, but I have several patterns and will send them out within the next few days, along with fabric requirements.  I know there are several ladies in the group who have made pillowcases using the various patterns, so I am hoping they will chime in with hints and tips.

One thing I keep forgetting to mention - I have a white binder on the check-in table.  In the front this contains our permit and the rules and expectations for how clubs conduct themselves and for the facilities.  Behind that I have printed pictures of many of the craft ideas I have collected over the past few years.  Please look through these when you have a chance and let me know if there are any projects shown that you would like to try.   I have instructions for all of them, so if you like something I will present it to the club and if enough people want to do it I'll put it on the schedule. 

See you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment