Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Weekly Notes - June 29, 2016

Eighteen ladies joined the fun today, including 2 new members.   I collected another $30 in dues, so the club is now in the black, with a treasury of a whole $7.  From now on dues collected will be held for future needs, as agreed to by a majority of members.

Show and Tell

Eileen DiSanto showed the lovely place mats she finished from last week's project.

 Donna Rissman showed a gorgeous king-sized bargello quilt she made after attending a class by Esther Mineheart. (I hope I spelled her name right, if not, someone please send me the correction)










Next she  showed the bag she made from the fractured art blocks she did after a demo  I gave about a year ago.  Maybe we might do this demo sometime in this new club.



She also showed a cute koala pillow she is completing for a friend.



 Kathy Jones showed a few more aprons that she made from shirts.
She showed a couple of shirts she got at the thrift store for mostly under $3 each.  In addition to the men's shirts, she showed an apron she made from a woman's shirt and a smaller, child-sized apron.

Kathy will be leading the group in this project on July 27th.  Plenty of time to go pick up the shirt you want to work with.



Jane Motrinec showed 2 place mats she made, one during the demo and one after.  She embellished the patriotic place mat with a beautiful eagle embroidered on the flag stripes.

Her second place mat was made with lovely modern simplicity. Nice work Jane.

Suzanne Brown came with a finished UFO project, knit hats.  She was looking for a place to donate these and several ladies suggested Busy Hands, Happy Hearts.  These hats are on their way to the right needy children.








Lastly, I showed 2 chenille fish I made as trials to remember how to do chenille.  Although I made a couple of mistakes, it was a great project to re-learn the techniques before I try to tackle a bigger project.








Next we moved on to the project of the week.  I showed my embroidered patriotic Heart Dangler and talked about how this could be done on a regular sewing machine.  Most of the ladies decided to dive into this project and I saw lots of hearts taking shape. By the end of the meeting I saw completed hearts by B.J. Herter, Marty Rhyne, Cathie Shuart, and Susan Morris.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest come back for next week's show and tell.










I also want to thank the ladies who helped me sort through the bags of fabric and batting scraps.
I brought only half of what I have waiting, but we managed to over-stuff 4 doggie bed blanks and rescue another kitchen garbage bag full of larger, usable pieces.  I pieced together fabric to make another large dog bed when I got home and pulled enough out of the ones we filled so I could sew them closed with a level of stuffing that the dogs will find comfy.  As I mentioned at the meeting, I checked the Marion County Animal Services web site to see the dogs they have available for fostering or adoption and found they currently have 4 small dogs and 25 larger ones.  So the dog beds we make should be big enough for the larger dogs whenever possible.
I plan to bring more bags of scraps to next week's meeting, as well as fabric and embellishments I have put aside for dementia activity quilts.  I will bring these supplies in the 1st week of each month for anyone interested in making these.

The tentative project schedule for the next few weeks is as follows:

July 6 – tea caddie led by Eileen DiSanto.  Supply list will be sent out in a later email.
July 13 – Pillow Cases.  Lois will bring 3 different patterns and we will talk about each one.
July 20 – Lois can’t be at this meeting – Kathy Jones has volunteered to lead the meeting.  Project will be Neck Pillows led by Kathy Nichols
July 27 – Shirt aprons led by Kathy Jones
Aug 3rd - Iron caddie.  Donna Rissman will lead this project.
(Most of August and September are open - ideas for projects needed)
Sep. 28 - Marty Rhyne will lead a project to make neck coolers.

1 comment:

  1. Sure miss you gals and pleased the new group is off to a great start. See you 🎶 in September 🎶🎶

    ReplyDelete