Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Club Notes - March 1, 2023

There were 15 of us at today’s meeting.  I brought the 8” squares and the large blocks.  We received several bags/boxes of donations and filled 6 dog beds.  In addition to the dog beds, there were lots of usable large fabric pieces.  I took the potential backings and panels, and Mic took the rest to merge into the bins.  Thanks to new member Lisa for neatly folding the fabric so it is easy to see what is there.

 I didn’t have any announcements this week, but forgot to mention that I a member of the Allamanda Quilters is helping with a neighbor’s estate and has 4 good sewing machines for sale.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will get the details and put you in touch.

 Show and Tell:



Carolyn Grasso showed a wall hanging 


and some free-standing lace bookmarks.



Ceal Pedersen brought 2 dino toys, 


some zipper bags, 




 

a quilt top, 


and 2 baby quilts.  





Deb Chapman showed her latest “Lazy Girl” purse.




I showed the “Lazy Girl” purse I made last week.



Mary Ellen Boutin made 2 zipper bags 


and 2 quilt tops.


Mic Pickard made several walker bags

and a zipper bag.



Audrey showed an easter towel 


and several treat bags







Ellen Hein brought a bunch of quilts that I quilted and she completed the binding on for us. 

I wasn't sure how to quilt this until Ellen gave me a great sugestion.


Her sugestion gave me the idea on how to quilt this one that Lorraine made.








She also made a zipper bag


and several Cornerstone Hospice quilt tops.






















The last quilt top she showed was the joint club project.  
Ladies in our club each made squares from some of our scraps and gave them to Ellen to put together.  This is the result.

For today’s demo, I showed how to turn a placemat into a clutch purse or 2 placemats into a tote bag,  I talked about a couple of variations on this, including making your own “placemat” as a starting point from fat quarters )or even fat eigths).

 

Since Ellen took the box of threads we have in the closet to sort through, we had a spot to store one more box.  I chose to leave the large blocks in the closet since I have been bringing them back every week. We only have one shelf in the closet, so I am trying to keep things there that we can use most weeks.  For your reference, in addition to irons, mats, and tools, the items we have stored in the closet are as follows:

Zippers

Fabric for zipper bags

Buttons

Freezer paper for copying patterns

Box of large fabric blocks to incorporate into quilt designs

Used Dryer sheets  (If you don’t know why, ask).

2 blue books containing patterns and helpful hints.

White book containing our permit and club guidelines.

 

That’s it for now.  Hope to see you in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment