Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Club Notes, Feb 1, 2023

We had 15 members attending this afternoon, and lots of activity.  I brought red, white and blue 5” squares, some large pieces of white fabric, and our box of pre-made blocks and small panels (what I call the large block box).  Mic brought some fabric bins, stuffing, and red, white and blue strips.   We also got some donations that a couple of ladies sorted through.

I had 2 main announcements.  First, I discovered a new place to donate quilts to – The Pregnancy and Family Care Center in Leesburg.  After the meeting this afternoon, Mic and I went to my storage unit and pulled out a bunch of lap quilts that were waiting for a home.  I brought them home to be washed and measured, and we will deliver them as soon as Mic and I can find an open date on our calendars.  We can visit this facility and make a dog bed  delivery to the South Lake Animal League on the same trip.

Second, I talked about the All Florida Shop Hop that will run for the months of March and April.  Florida  is divided into 6 regions, with separate prizes in each region. We are right on the border between the East Central and West Central regions. 

The East Central shops can be done in 2 trips – Melbourne, Merritt Island, Titusville and Edgewater in one trip and Clermont, Orlando, Maitland, Mt Dora, and DeLand in the second.

The West Central would take 3 trips – Ocala, Brooksville, Lutz, and Wildwood in one; Lakeland, Winter Haven, and Dade City in a 2nd trip; and Palm Harbor, Clearwater, St Petersburg, and Fort Meade in a 3rd.

I am willing to drive on one of these trips on March 8th or 22nd if anyone is interested. It would be an all day trip, leaving around 8:30AM and getting back around 5:30PM.  My preference would be either East Central trip, but would also be willing to drive trip 1 of the West Central shops if those who are interested prefer that.   If you are interested, please let me know, along with your trip and date preference.   I can take up to 5 ladies with me in my van.  I will have all the shop info at the next meeting.

Show and Tell:


Kathryn Jeter showed a quilt top she made.


Bev Minnerly has been going through her scraps.  


She made zipper bags, walker bags,


 a draw string backpack (which needs the drawstrings), and a small tote.




Anne Knoff showed some place mats her friend Cindy made.  



She then showed some of her own work – a table topper 




and several large tote bags, in the style of the mondo bag but using solid fabric strips instead of the small squares on the special interfacing.



She also showed a zipper bag she made with the easy, front zipper method.




Mary Ellen Boutin showed zipper bags she made.



Charlotte Cecilio came with a bag full of stuffed toys.



Ceal Pedersen made some dinos, 





2 baby quilts,



and a big stack of zipper bags.




Brenda Severa showed another quilt she made with some of our green 5” squares.


Lorraine Manz has returned to Canada, but not before leaving a bunch of totes, zipper bags and a pillowcase with Mic.





Mic Pickard also showed some walker bags and zipper bags she made.  She lined the zipper bag with the plastic that sheets come in.





Deb Chapman showed 2 table runners 



and a quilt top she made.




Louise Stem made some pillow cases.










 She also showed a bunch of quilt blocks she made to send to her Virginia prayer group.  

These will be made into prayer quilts by those ladies.









I found some fun fabric on sale at the Sewing Studio last week.  I matched it up with some fabric leftovers and made a bunch of kids’ pillowcases.




Audrey Philips came in a little late and showed some embroidery projects.



------------------------------------

I also asked for suggestions on future projects.  If anyone has something they would like to see demonstrated, or something they would like to share, please let me know.  I am not a teacher, only a club leader and facilitator.  Our club was founded on the principle that we all know how to do something and we can share what we know with each other. 

This coming Saturday is the Giving Showcase at Lake Miona, 10AM-2PM.   Ceal and Carolyn have volunteered to help so we are set.   Stop by if you would like to learn about charitable opportunities in The Villages.

Our next meeting is in 2 weeks, on February 15th.  Some ladies expressed a desire to learn how to put zippers in zipper bags, so I will show 2 ways that I do it.   If anyone else has a method they would like to share, they are welcome to do so.

Have a great 2 weeks and I hope to see you at the next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment