Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Club Notes - July 28, 2021

 We had a smaller group of only 10 ladies this afternoon, but plenty of activity anyway.


Last week I delivered 8 lap quilts to the woman collecting quilts for a girl scout gold award project. GIrl scout Emily Matlach is collecting quilts to help support the veterans in the VA hospital in Lake Nona.

Tomorrow I intend to give 5 quilts to a DaVita treatment center.  I misspoke at our meetings regarding this organization's function.  They provide kidney dialysis treatment.   There are several of these offices in The Villages.  I am going to give 5 quilts to the one on Rt 441/27 in Oakland Hills tomorrow morning.  We still have more lap quilts in storage, so I will give some to the office near Laurel Manor as soon as I can make the delivery.

Show and Tell:
\

Pat Pipa showed her completed fractured art piece\\
 
 

and a zipper bag for our sale.




Bev Minnerly showed a completed walker bag.

 

Charlotte Cecillio showed 2 stuffed dino

and 2 waiting to be stuffed.  
 

She also showed several hex hot plates mostly finished, just waiting for top-stitching.






B.J. Herter showed her latest fractured art piece
 



and the one she did the last time we demoed this. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Then she showed an Advent calendar she made. It has stars around the border attached to buttons.  
 
 Starting with December 1st, a star is transferred from a button on the border to a button on the tree.  Each day another star is transferred until the last star is placed on the tree on Christmas day.
 
 








Donna Rissman showed a patriotic row-by-row block she got s few years ago 
 
 

and a stuffed spider she made (after figuring it out without any instructions).
 

 

A friend of Anne Knoff's, CIndy, has been giving us some lovely bags for quite a while.  Today as I was coming into the rec center she gave me a lovely tote (which will go into our sale item inventory) and a quilt.

 
 
***************
 
 
Today I gave a brief explanation of how to make a walker bag, using the Helpertunity pattern.   Several were completed during the afternoon (I haven't counted yet), and I will make a delivery within the next couple of days.  Several ladies also took kits home to complete.  This is a fairly simple pattern.  Once you have done one and understand the pattern, a walker bag can be completed in 1 to 1.5 hours after the fabric is cut.

I spent my sewing time last week starting to process the backlog of quilt tops.  I quilted 3 of them and gave them to Donna for binding.  The rest have been matched with backings and battings, and I will be quilting them as time permits.  I am going on vacation August 11th, so any I don't get to this week will wait until I get back.

Next week is a free sewing week.  I will bring some pre-cut squares so we can lay out some quilt top designs, but there will be no demo. 

The following 2 weeks (Aug 11 and 18th) I will be away.  Pat Pipa and Mic Pickard will be running the meetings while I am away.  Demos have been scheduled for both weeks.  I've included the project/demo schedule below..

4-Aug-21 Open Sew/Quilt Squares Design  
11-Aug-21 Toy Eyes/Ceal Pedersen Pat & Mic
18-Aug-21 Triangle Frenzy Table Runner/Donna Pat & Mic
25-Aug-21 Car Trash Bag Lois Rose
1-Sep-21   Pat & Mic
8-Sep-21 Scrap Strip Placemat Lois Rose
15-Sep-21 Travel Jeweltry Tray Lois Rose

Hope you will join us next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment