Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Club Notes - July 21, 2021

 We had a couple of guests today.  First, Elizabeth Manzione started as a guest and is now a new member. Then Carolyn Grasso brought her granddaughter McKenzie (Sp?), who wound up getting a sewing lesson from Donna Rissman, with help from Carolyn and Carole Lamb. McKenzie was able to make her first pillow today.



Eileen DiSanto is going to have a knee replacement and she has gone to stay with her sister in Rhode Island for the surgery and recovery.  Lets send positive thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery and return to us.

Over the past week, I announced that I made several deliveries last week.  I brought 43 pillowcases to Case for Smiles, 19 walker bags to Helpertunity, and 22 stuffed toys to the Villages Hospital Auxiliary.

I have also identified another organization that we might be able to give smaller (less than twin) quilts to.  I will be checking with them the first chance I get and will provide more info on them later.

Show and Tell:

 
 
Bev Minnerly was busy attempting to use up some of her stash this week.
 
She came with walker bags, backpacks and zipper bags.






Carole Lamb took some fabric from our donations and came back with a bunch of zipper bags.

 

Ceal Pederson had fun with last week's Hexagon Hot Plate demo and came in with a bunch of them, mug rug size.
 
Carolyn Grasso took some cat fabric that was donated and came today with a completed quilt top.

She also found the pieces for an unusual giraffe in a tutu in our donation pile and worked on finishing it.










 
Pat Pipa made several Hexagon Hot Plates, some zipper bags, and some 2-minute coin purses.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
She also showed the fractured art pieces she made the last time we had the demo.

 
 


Donna also showed her hexagon hot plates 
 

and the fractured art pieces she made the last time we had the demo.

 

I showed the Double Wedding Ring quilt I have been working on for my great niece's upcoming wedding and the bag I made to protect it.

************************************
Next I gave a demonstration of how to turn 4 pieces of identical fabric into a fractured art piece.  I brought some samples of different types of fabric (yardage, border fabric, and panels) and how to find the repeats to fussy-cut identical sections of the patterns for this project. Once you've chosen your fabrics I showed how to cut them up and sew them back together to make the fractured art.  The result can be used to make a wall hanging, an interesting tote bag, or some other project that excites your imagination.  The instructions I have are a large file that will probably not make it through most email systems.  I will try to attach it, but can't promise it will get to you.  The book I showed is available on Amazon, so if you are interested, here is the link:  https://www.amazon.com/Fracture-Frenzy-One-kind-Techniques/dp/B00JC6GY8U

Next week I will be showing you how to make walker bags using the pattern developed by Helpertunity.  I will have kits precut, so you will just have to select a kit and sew.   More info later. 

Have a great week.  I hope to see you next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment