Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Club Notes - Oct 7, 2020

 

There were 9 of of us at El Santiago this afternoon, including another potential new member.  We found another large bag of scraps waiting for us.  SInce we were still processing the scraps from last week, that bag will have to wait until next week. 

Show and Tell:

 
Suzanne Barron took home a stack of pink 3.5" squares and came back with a finished quilt. 
 
 
 
 She also made a tote bag to donate and a mug rug from some of her scraps.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mic Pickard is working on Christmas gifts. She showed the latest set of pajamas she finished for her daughter.  She used desert fabric because this daughter was born in Arizona.



Ceal Pedersen took home a stack of red 3.5" squares and came back today with a lovely quilt top.  
 
 

She also sewed together a quilt top I designed and handed her as a kit.







Ellen Hein turned in another quilt top she made from the 6.5" squares.  



She also showed the latest 4 quilts she added the binding to in our assembly line.

 

The first two were designed at one of our meetings with 8" squares.

 

 


I believe Ellen designed this one with 6" squares.



I designed this one with 5" squares.





 
I showed the Autumn Leaf mug rugs I made from the photo I sent out as a challenge last week.  
I sewed fabric strips onto a dryer sheet, traced the shape onto freezer paper, then ironed it onto the fabric and cut the shape out of the dryer sheet fabric, a piece of backing and a piece of batting.   I sewed the stack RST, leaving an opening for turning, turned it, and added the stem while closing, then top stitched around the whole leaf.
 
****************

I brought my Go-cutters to the meeting today and showed the group how to use them.  Several ladies went through the boxes of fabric I brought and sorted by size while others set the cutting dies and cut the fabric into various size squares.  Ellen Hein sewed borders on 2 quilt tops, Eileen DiSanto ironed the borders on some other quilt tops and I pinned a couple of quilt sandwiches.  Pat Pipa sorted through some of the scraps we had for dog beds.

Everyone seemed to enjoy working with the Go-cutters for a change, so I plan to bring them again next week.  It's good to put a dent in the fabric stash.   As always, if you want to work on any other charity project, you can take any fabric from the boxes for that.

A few other notes:
I delivered  2 baby quilts (with toy dinos), 22 pillowcases, and 14 tote bags of various sizes to the Ocala Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Center on Monday.   On Friday I plan to deliver all the dog beds I currently have to Marion County Animal Services.  I haven't counted, but will report the number next week.

I received our room reservation contract for next year.  It gave us more weeks than in past winters so I went to Savannah to double check.   They tell me it is correct, but a little confusing.  The Boggy Creek Bear ladies, who normally have our room in Jan, Feb, and March are now only meeting the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of Jan, Feb and March. That means we can have our regular room (Hula Lounge) on the 4th and 5th Wednesday's. The 1st and 3rd Wednesdays we will be in the  Beach Club Room instead.  That just leaves the 2nd week of those months with no room reservation.  I know this is confusing, but I will send an email before each meeting during the winter months to minimize confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment