Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Club Notes - June 3, 2020


We conducted another experimental meeting this afternoon.  I obtained permission to use both the Hula Lounge and Beach Club rooms, with only 6 people in each room.  When I sent out the invitation for members to sign up to attend, 7 ladies responded, so I decided to split the group into 2 meetings, with 4 in the Hula room and 3 in the Beach Club room, and me going from one to the other. I asked the first group to come 12:30-2PM and the 2nd to come 1:30-3PM.  As it turns out, an hour would have been enough for this small a group.

We started show and tell with the first group at 12:45PM.

Pat Pipa came with a bag full of completed projects.
A crocheted shawl and a tote were supposed to be items for Busy Hands' sale.








 She also made a bunch of back of chair book bags that Busy Hands promised to one of the local elementary schools.


One of Pat's daughters is an ObGyn in Colorado.  Pat is crocheting a bunch of baby hats for her to give to her patients.







 She also gave me a bag of masks for the Youth Ranch summer camp councilors and a bunch of zipper bags.


 Eileen DiSanto also came out with a bag full.  She made a big stack of the chair book bags for Busy Hands,  a bunch of masks,







a Cornerstone Hospice Veteran's quilt, and some pillowcases.





Ellen Hein showed her most recent outfit for her 3 year old granddaughter. This little girl likes cars, so Ellen appliqued a VW on a shirt for her.


 One of our newer members, Tonya Carrell came out this afternoon too.  She is heading north for the summer, so this was the last opportunity for her to join us.  She showed a pillowcase she made , her masks,  





and a great Cornerstone Hospice quilt. 

We wish her safe travels and hope to see her around October.



Although Mic Pickard was scheduled for group 2, she joined us in group 1 too, (and we had room).  She came with a nice size doggie bed.






 In between meetings, Ann Knoff came to give me a bag of masks and to fill my Gem car with lots of fabric scraps.   I kept 3 big bags full and Mic took the rest home to fill some more dog beds.

Bev Minnerly also came a little early to say hi to the group 1 ladies.  Since there were still only 5 of us in the room, this stayed within the rules.

Before 1:30 I left group 1 to chat on their own while Bev, Mic and I went to the Beach Club room.  Charlotte Cecilio was the 3rd to join us for that part of the meeting.


Charlotte came with a Hospice Veteran's quilt made with beautifully coordinated drier sheet blocks.




 Bev has been busy trying to use up all the little pieces it takes to make Giving Doll clothes.


 I showed 5 quilts to both groups.  The first 4 are charity quilts. 


 I found 8 hand-appliqued blocks in our big-block stash and put them together with some of my fabric for sashing.


For the next 3 I put together the design and handed them off to Diana Gosselin to sew together.  She returned the quilt tops to me to finish.

 This one has animals squares separated by as many solid greens as I could find and a border of bikes and cars going around the edge.

This one has race cars separated by wavy green blocks.  I added an extra border to make it a little bigger when Diana returned it.

This one is made up of 7"x9" blocks that seemed already coordinated, with an outside border of miscellaneous 6.5" blocks from our stash,


For each of these, once I quilted them I gave them to Ellen Hein to finish the binding.


These are all collaborative efforts. 

There are more to come.  I have 4 or 5 tops waiting to be sandwiched and I gave Diana 5 more quilt kits that she is working on. I am continuing to design and bag more kits, if anyone would like to put some together..  We have SOOOOO many squares cut.  So far I have only been working with 6.5" and some 5" squares.  When I exhaust ideas for these I will move to the smaller squares.


I also finished one of my own UFO's, a Harry Potter quilt.  I used a flying owl panel and a parliament  of owls fabric for the backing, and quilted it with an edge-to-edge pattern of keys.





When I got home tonight I heard that Governor DeSantis announced that Florida will be moving to phase 2 of reopening on Friday.  From what I read, among other things, this increases allowed social gatherings to increase from 10 to 50.  Social distancing is still required, so I don't know what this means for our meetings, but I will let you know as soon as I know.  I am not going to schedule  another meeting until I receive more  information about what we can and can't do.  Our tri-county area has been fortunate in that we have not had a large number of COVID-19 cases, so I am hopeful.

In the meantime, please stay safe.


























No comments:

Post a Comment