Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Club Notes - Feb 5, 2020

As always a great afternoon.  Our presence at the Giving Expo last Saturday was a success, not only in attracting new members, but also in the opportunity to network with other craft clubs.  We have a few overlaps but some of the items we can't use we can give to other clubs and they sometimes yet things they can't use and we can.  It's all good when we know who needs what.
Thanks to Mic Pickard, Lu Karatzas, Carol Thurston, Carolyn Grasso, and Diane Placek for coming out to help staff the table and talk to guests.

We welcomed several new members today and expect to welcome a few more next week.  I know I can count on you all to make them feel at home.

Donna gave an updated demo on how to make the sewing project carrier, including an interesting "burrito" zipper demo.  I expect to see a few of these come back finished over the next few weeks. The original project instructions and a photo of Donna's zipper instruction are attached to my email.

Show and Tell:


Mic Pickard showed 2 quilts.  The first is a Cornerstone Hospice quilt that was a collaborative effort.  I think Pat Pipa made the top, Mic and Ann Knoff matched the batting and backing and quilted it,  I added the label and Mic and Ann finished it.  



The second is a panel that she is working on turning into a full quilt.  Last week I gave Mic her first lesson in edge-to-edge embroidery quilting and she completed the quilting on this panel.  


Pat Pipa showed the purse and wallet she made for Allamanda Quilter's crayon challenge.  (Each person in the chapter pulled 3 random crayons from a bag and had to make something with those 3 colors or shades of them and no other colors.) Pat got the challenging colors of Tangerine, Raspberry, and Red, and did a great job putting them together, Her  project was voted the 3rd place winner.



Bev Minnerly made a couple of adult clothing protectors and a bunch of doll clothes for Giving Dolls.





Eileen Di Santo made a pillowcase and showed her crayon challenge project, a small purse. I believe her colors were Tangerine, Green, and Denim.


Linda Marshall made a couple of pillowcases.


Charlotte Cecilio turned in 2 more sets of red, white and blue dryer sheet block sets.


Donna Rissman showed a panel quilt she made to teach a class, an adorable stuffed critter, and a heart table runner.




  She also talked about the spray she uses on the back of her rulers to keep them from slipping The product name is Odif Grippy Non-slip Coating.  







Ellen Hein made a flannel baby quilt top, a Hospice Veteran's quilt top and 5 pillowcases.






Aileen Lee made 2 Hospice Quilts.



I showed a crumb quilt that I quilted and bound.  I believe Judy Mayer handed in this quilt top at the last meeting.

I found kits for chenille butterfly mug rugs at the Quilters Marketplace and finished them last week.



I also showed a train quilt I made.  The fabric has been waiting in my stash and in my mind for several years.
The 3rd quilt I showed was my crayon challenge.  I drew yellow, gold and blue crayons.





**************************

There is no meeting net week, as we do not have a room  Our next meeting is February 19th. Bev will be showing us how to make a kitchen towel scarf.  I will send out a reminder a few days before.

I mentioned at the beginning of the meeting that last year we gave quilts and duffle bags to the graduates of the Sheriff's Youth Ranch.  A number of us contributed quilts, and a few ladies helped cutting the duffle bags, but Ellen Hein did the majority of the work sewing them together.  This year there may be double the number of graduates and we need some other volunteers to sew these together.  At our March 4th meeting, Ellen will show us what is involved. I hope a few of you can help with this project.

See you all in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment