Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Club Notes - January 15, 2020

We had a full house today.  Most week's I see 15-20 ladies joining our afternoon fun, but today we had 28 sign in.  For a few minutes I thought we would have to borrow chairs from another room, but it all worked out.   
Thanks to Ann Knoff, Alice Meunier, and new guest Becky Daniel for sorting through all the donated scraps and filling a big pile of dog beds.

Today I demonstrated how you can easily pin a quilt sandwich using 3 pvc pipes or 3 curtain rods, and 3 pool noodles.   I wanted my setup longer than the length of a standard pool noodle, so I cut a fourth one into 3 pieces to add to the length of each one.  I started with curtain rods, but switched to pvc for the extra length.  If anyone would like to try this with curtain rods, I have 3 I will sell for $15 to the first person who asks.  (I paid $10 for each one.) The curtain rods work fine for a small quilt (under 60" wide).
I was able to pin 2 quilts and hope to finish them before the next meeting.  

Show and tell:

Carolyn Grass was able to be back with us this week, although still recovering from her surgery.  She showed a pile of pillowcases she made.


Guest Becky Daniel showed 2 wall quilts she made. The first was from a kit and the second was from the fabric leftover from the kit!!


Charlotte Cecilio made some more of the red, white and blue dryer sheet blocks.


Diane Placek showed a fidget walker bag she made.


Alice Meunier made 3 charity rag quilts.
(I think someone asked if this is quilt as you go and I gave an incorrect answer.  Yes, it is.  We will schedule a demo of this technique for a future week.)


Kiki Mitracos showed a small quilt she made and donated.


Deb Chapman responded to her quilt chapter's challenge to make something inspired by a magazine page.  She got a flying magazine, so she made mug rugs with jets on the fabric.



Donna Rissman finished a quilt top from a stack of our orphan blocks, and a cornerstone hospice quilt top.





Carole Lamb made and donated a patriotic honor flight quilt.


Lu Karatzas made a set of dryer sheet blocks.


Ellen Hein showed a Cornerstone Hospice quilt she made.


Aileen Lee came late, and showed a pile of small mats for the animal shelters.  She was making cat hammocks, but the shelter said they don't use them any more, so she just made the mats.  (I will talk to them to see what the current need is.)


I finished 2 baby quilts that B.J. Herter made and gave me last month.


I also showed a USB stick caddy I made to hold all my embroidery machine designs, and a stack of draw string back packs I made (which still need the draw strings.)



******************************

After the demo everyone got to work.  Our project for today was to make 12.5" blocks with red, white and blue fabric, that we can use to complete some more Cornerstone Hospice Veterans quilts.  At the next meeting we will see how many blocks come in and sew the Hospice quilt tops together.  I will also bring the backing fabric and Ann Knoff is sewing some batting scraps together so we will see if we can get at least 3 finished.

I forgot to print the future project schedule before today's meeting, I've included it in this week's email. 

I've listed the 3 shop hops in the schedule.  If you would like to join the fun of a girls day out, please let me know.  You can come along on 1, 2 or all 3.  All the info isn't published yet, but you can get the updates at http://bayareashophop.com/.










































No comments:

Post a Comment