Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Club Notes - Oct 18, 2017

We had a lot of fun this afternoon attempting to make some stuffed toys. Some of our more experienced sewers did great and handed in some finished toys.  Those of us who have not done much of this struggled a bit with the patterns, but we had a lot of fun anyway.  I was one of those who tried to make a shark.  The mouth on mine turned out crooked and I think I sewed it on upside down, so I don't think I will be giving this to any unsuspecting child.  I plan to make some toys on my embroidery machine in the hope they will turn out better.  I did see that Linda Parr successfully made a shark, so there is hope for the pattern.

Thanks to Mary Naz, who brought in some simpler toy patterns.  I hope to try one of those soon.

A few of you have embroidery machines and asked whether you could make toys using embroidery machine patterns. The answer is a definite yes.

As an aside, I mentioned that a member of my quilting chapter passed away this year and left her husband with a Brother Dream Creator 5100 sewing and embroidery machine.  He would like to sell it and I understand the price is $3,000.   This is an excellent price.  I had this machine before I traded it for my Dream Machine (8500).  The 5100 is an excellent embroidery and quilting machine.  A used one would usually sell for at least $4,000 and a new one would be double that, so this is a very good deal. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will put you in contact with the seller.

Show and Tell:

We only had 3 entries for this week's show and tell.




Ellen Hein showed that she finished the quilt she was working on last week.








Nella Rose made several stuffed toys for our Christmas toy collection.

I showed 3 quilts.  The first was the one I entered in this year's row-by-row competition.  It has been on display at the Sewing Studio of Lady Lake since I completed it in June.
 
The 2nd was a quilt top that Bev Minerly brought in last week.  I provided the backing and quilting.  This one goes into our pile of quilts for Florida victims of Irma and Maria.
 
 The 3rd was one I started in August and put on hold once Irma arrived.  It is for the husband of one of my nieces.  I have been making quilts for all my nieces and nephews and this takes care of the youngest of my sister's children.


****************

Next week is our annual Halloween pot-luck.  Costumes are encouraged but optional.  I will bring the tablecloths, plates, plastic ware, and iced tea. Bring your favorite fall food, home made or store bought, its all OK.  If you can't bring anything, no problem.  There is always plenty of food to go around. Just come and have fun getting to know each other.

We will have games and prizes.  Also, as usual, show and tell is encouraged.

Hope to see a good turnout for fun next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment