Thursday, July 13, 2017

Club Notes - July 12, 2017

Although I did a good job of confusing everyone by sending out a bad set of instructions on this week's project, we had fun anyway and I think I may see a few of the fidget walker bags come back in during the next few weeks.  I think the hardest part of it is deciding what fidget items to put on.  The bag itself is pretty easy once you've done one.

As always, I had dryer sheets and fabric strips available for members to work on and a box of fabric that needed to be sorted.  Nella Rose did a terrific job sorting and I left with 2 fewer boxes than I started with.   We now have a good supply of fabric strips sorted by color to make it easier to make blocks the way you like.

Show and Tell: 


Nita Hand showed 2 pieces of "knot work" done by New England sailors during their down time.  These are not tatting, but instead a lost seaman's art.
Nita cleaned out several old farm houses over the years and these were among her finds.





We have a new member, Dariel Diestelkamp, and she came to her first meeting prepared with sewing machine and items to show.  She shared a sewing kit, purse, and an eyeglass case that she made.











Congratulations new grandma Mary Nazgiewicz!  Despite being exhausted from hospital visits to her daughter and new granddaughter, she still managed to make pillowcases and a fidget quilt.






Carol Riggs did not sign on the show and tell list, but she did make an adorable teddy bear for Mary to giver the new baby.






Diane Placek shared a quilt she made for her brother who just broke BOTH his legs falling off a ladder.  We wish him a speedy and successful recovery.










Donna Rissman was busy.  She made 10 pillowcases for Ryan's Case for Smiles.









Pat Pipa showed her finished jewelry bag.




Laura Tomich also came in with some lovely pillowcases.










Kathy Jones showed the quilted jacket project we will be working on next week. (Instructions will follow in a separate email.)







 I showed my finished jewelry bag and my fabric clothesline basket.  For those who didn't make it yesterday, I am another one who could not make the clothesline curve up into an basket, so I cheated a little.  When it was done I folded it on 4 sides where I wanted it to curve up and sewed a straight line along the fold to force the sides up.

*******************
News of 3 of our club members who can't get to meetings right now:


Bev Minnerly is recovering from knee surgery.
Jane Swafford is having bone on bone trouble and needs to stay off her feet as much as she can.
Chris Leedy continues to have complications from her foot surgery last year.
X Rays are now showing she has hip problems and may have to have surgery for that.
Let's all keep these friends in our prayers.
Also, if you know of anyone else who needs a little sunshine from our club, please let me know.


As I said above, next week Kathy Jones will show us how to make a quilted jacket out of an old sweatshirt.  I will also bring the box of pillowcase fabric, the sorted dryer sheet strips,  another box of fabric that needs sorting, and maybe a few  precut kits for the fidget walker bags. 


Next Friday, July 21st is our first group shop hop.   It's going to be a fun girls day out to up to 6 row-by-row quilt shops.  There are five of us going on an all day excursion to Sarasota area shops in my van.   I can still fit one more in the van if anyone is interested.


For those who don't know, Sharky's $3/yard fabric sale was extended through Friday, July 14th.  They also have a BOGO sale on stabilizer this week.  These are great deals.


Hope to see you all next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment