Thursday, April 27, 2017

Club Notes - April 26, 2017

I was a little late getting to the rec center yesterday, but was very happy to see that those who showed up on time took charge of getting everything set up.  Thank you ladies.

I mentioned that honor flight quilts are needed for the next flight. Also, the Combat Veterans to Careers Group needs 20 quilts by May 16th. They can be 30” by 30” or 36” by 42”. 

Lu Karatzas and Bev Minnerly represented us at the Opis Bayview Center Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon on Tuesday and they reported that they had a great time.  There were all sorts of volunteers there.  Food and company were both good, everyone went home with some prize or gift.   

Carol Riggs talked to us some more about the Ryan's Case for Smiles project she has been coordinating in our area.  She explained that the reason they need so many pillowcases is that the chemicals the children get in their treatment leach out into the pillowcases, so they can never reuse a pillowcase. Each child gets a new one every time they come for treatment.  One child in particular has received over 200 pillowcases.  Carol has pre-cut fabric available for anyone who just wants to sew some pillowcases, or you can make pillowcases with your own fabric and donate it to the cause.  The pillowcases should only have the main fabric and cuff, no trim.  I sent out patterns last week, but if you still need a copy let me know and I will send you another one or print one for you to pick up at the next meeting.

During show and tell I talked about a water soluable tape I used in setting ribbons and zippers on projects.  I must have advertised it too well because Sharky's is now sold out of it and it will take at least a week to restock.  My offer to pick some up for anyone who wants some still stands.  They will let me know when they get it in again and I will purchase as many as I can for those who email me and ask for it.

Show and Tell: 





Dianna Gosselin made a lovely Sunbonnet Sue Quilt.








Lu Karatzas made a Hospice Veterans Quilt.












Diane Placek made a baby quilt from Hawaiian fabric and finished her zip tote.












Bev Minnerly showed a back pack she made.  She also made 2 walker bags and 2 fidget quilts that went directly to Opis Bayview Center.










Jane Motrinec made her zip tote, 2 pillowcases for Case for Smiles, and a quilt.









Nita Hand showed a travel jewelry bag and a modular table topper.  Both of these will be future projects for us. 








Audrey Philips made a zip tote, a walker bag and embroidered earings that are shaped like sewing machines.  (She and Brenda Severa both had on a pair, and Audrey gave me one too)











Brenda Severa showed the zip tote bag she made, using a place mat as the outer fabric.


Alice Meunier made a pillowcase for Case for Smiles.  She also showed her finished embroidered racetack, which will go to the Foster kids at Christmas.









I showed the placemats I made at an Allamanda Quilt chapter project and a winter themed quilt I made for my niece's husband.













During the meeting sew time, Marti Ryne made and handed in A fidget quilt.




*********

Next week Donna Rissman will show us how to make a folded fabric wreath.  I will sed out the supply list when I get it from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment