Thursday, March 2, 2017

Club Notes - March 1, 2017

We had a small turnout today, but a lot of fun, even if it was a bit noisy.  I made a few announcements.

First, Mark your calendars for the Quilters Closet & Notions Sale on Saturday, March 18, 2017 at Savannah Center.  this is basically a sewing garage sale and you never know what you might find.

Second, Paul Farineau dropped off 5 more of the center blocks for Hospice quilts.  If anyone would like to make one, please see me at the next meeting.

Third: Carol Riggs has found out that the new quilt shop on 441,  A Quilting Palette, is a new local drop off point for the pillowcases for Case for Smiles, the organization that provides pillowcase to children in the hospital. (formerly called ConKerr).  From now on, if we get pillowcase fabric with child-friendly patterns we will give them to Carol to for Case for Smiles.  Adult pattern pillowcases will still go to the Ocala Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Shelter.

After show and tell Kathy Nichols gave a great demo on how to take a simple design and turn it into a beautiful string-art. Those who decided to take the challenge picked up their hammers and made a beautiful noise.  Once again, I'm looking forward to seeing the results come back for a future week's show and tell.


Show and Tell:



Kathy Jones started us off with 2 dog beds, a fidget quilt, and a backpack for our Christmas gift effort.







Eileen Navikas also brought in a couple of dog beds (and thankfully put them directly into my GEM, so I didn't have to carry them out again)  and a baby blanket for the shelter.


Jane Swafford made 2 beautiful pillow cases for the shelter.











Kathy Nichols showed how she finished the backs of her 2 fabric plates, with sandpaper, paint, and spray polyurethane.







 Carol Riggs showed a quilt she finished, a mesh mahjong mat, and the painted scarf she made at the class last week.














I showed the dog bed I made out of an old black sweater, a fidget quilt, a couple of walker bags, and a little zipper bag shaped like a whale that I made on my embroidery machine.








Suzanne Brown will be leading our next project - making fairy dolls. She brought in 2 examples for us to see.   I'll send out the supply list next week.












One last note.  At another club I belong to, I was reminded that some people don't want their photos or photos of their projects placed on the internet. That is fine.  We may tease you a little, but anyone who does not want their photo on this blog only has to tell me and I won't put it out here.  I already know of one person who will let me take photos of her projects, but not of her and I respect that.

For those who are a little apprehensive about showing their completed projects at our show and tell, I want you to know there is nothing to fear.  We never judge at Sewing N More.  We celebrate each person's attempt at creativity and do not look for perfection (although we may oh and ah at some exceptional results).  This club is meant to be a safe place to try new things, experiment and learn from each other.  We learn from mistakes as well as from success.  You will find that my own work is far from expert, and I will always share with you all the things I do wrong and what I've done to fix or camouflage my mistakes.  I hope you all will also be able to share your efforts with this in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment