Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Club Notes - Nov 9, 2016

I am completely baffled as to why, but when I got home today and looked for the pictures from today on my ipad, none of them were there.  I am still looking at all the possible places they might have landed, but it really looks like they were all deleted before I got home and I have no idea how that happened.  So, unless I find them in some strange location, I will only be able to give you text notes this week.

Events:Thursday, Nov 10th - Sharky's end-of-bolt sale. 40% off if you finish a bolt
Monday, Nov 14th -  Busy Hands, Happy Hearts Craft Sale, Colony Rec Center

We have a new charity opportunity.  It has come to our attention that there are about 800 children (all ages from newborn to 18) in foster care in Sumter county. The agency that manages foster care services is trying to provide Christmas gifts for all these children.  The Machine Embroidery Club donated a few embroidered toys, but that was only a drop in the bucket.   I talked to the group about changing our charity craft day to next week and making some items to donate, and everyone who came this week agreed.  They need everything by Dec 2nd, so next week you can chose one of the following items to work on:

Stuffed toys for young children.
Simple drawstring or zipper bags/purses for young girls
Simple tote / duffel bags for all ages
Pillow cases

I'll gather some patterns and send them out within the next day or so.  

I am going to go through my stash to see what fabrics I can designate to this effort and would appreciate it if any of you can do the same.  The stuff we have for charity work in storage is mostly small pieces that may not be enough for this, but I will look through what we have and bring anything I think might work.  I have found some more fiber fill, and will also bring batting to use in the bags/purses.
You can also purchase items such as toys, lip gloss, toothbrushes, hair brushes, etc. from the Dollar Store or Walmart, and bring them in to be donated.   Anything you would like to donate or make for these kids will be appreciated.  Susie Pendry and I will make sure they get to the agency by Dec 2nd..

OK, now for today's activity notes:

Show and Tell:Donna Rissman completed a Hospice Veteran's quilt.

(Three people took Hospice blocks to make more of these.  Thank you.)

Carol Riggs showed a quilt for her granddaughter with a dog them and quilted with a dog paw print pattern.

Mary Nazgiewicz came with a completed quilt, a dog bed, and some drier sheet quilt blocks.

Kathy Franklin made a fun Thanksgiving table runner and matching placemats.

Kathy Nichols showed folded fabric ornaments that could also be coasters without the hanging loop. (This will be a fun project for next Spring.)

Lu Karatzas made a table runner, similar to the one she showed last week, but longer, and an e-reader pillow she finished after last week's demo.


Pat Pipa crocheted 2 dog sweaters, a Dog Christmas stocking shaped like a paw, and 3 of the one-hour table runners.
Eileen Navikas made 2 pair of children's shorts for Haiti and a baby quilt.  She also put together a quilt top from drier sheet blocks.

Brenda Severa showed her Halloween table runner.

I showed a mini bag I made at the embroidery club, a caddy for my mini-iron and the casserole carrier that is this week's project.

After show and tell I gave a brief description of how the casserole carrier is made.  Several people started making their carriers and as I put together another one of these I walked around showing each step in the process.  We should see a few of these at show and tell over the next few weeks.

The revised project schedule for the next few weeks is:  

16-Nov  Charity ProjectsLois Rose
     23-Nov  NO Meeting
30-Nov  Tissue HolderLinda Parr
7-Dec  Wine Cork Horse OrnamentLois Rose
14-Dec  Zippered key chain and pouchLu Karatzas
21-Dec  Christmas Pot-Luck

28-Dec  NO Meeting

Hope to see you all next Wednesday for our Sumter County Foster Care charity effort..


 

No comments:

Post a Comment