Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Club Notes - Oct 6, 2021

We welcomed 14 members (including one new member) and 1 guest this afternoon. We were happy to see one of our snowbirds, Brenda Severa, back with us. Our sales total from the craft sale increased with a few more sales between Saturday and today. Although I am pleased that we did so well, I think we may have done better than some of the other tables. This evening I responded to a survey from the craft festival organizers and told them how disappointed we were with the advertising efforts. They reported only 475 people came through the event. I think this is a pitiful turnout when there are over 100,000 residents in The Villages. Hopefully, this feedback will affect this planning for the 2022 craft sale. 

 

 Show and Tell:

 Bev Minnerly brought a drawstring backpack 

 

 and 2 walker bags. 

 



Brenda Severa showed a pumpkin hanging decoration 

 

 

 

 

 

and 3 quilt tops she made from 3-yard quilt top patterns. 



She also brought the 3-yard pattern books for everyone to look through.

 


 Ellen Hein showed the charity quilts she finished the binding on this week. 

 

I made the tops for 2 of them from our orphan 7.5 inch squares,


 

Deb Chapman made the top for the next, 

 

 


 

and Ceal Pedersen made the tops for the last 2. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New member Evelyn Bowman showed a tree skirt 

 

 

 

 

and a t-shirt quilt she made. Although she claims to be a self-taught beginner, she did a beautiful job on both.




B.J. Herter showed a lovely quilt she made for her daughter. 

 



Deb Chapman started by showing the project from 2 years ago.

 

 

She also took a bunch of Christmas fabric from our stash and is still working on a quilt, but showed a table runner she made from some of the extras.



 I showed 2 drawstring backpacks I embroidered. These were UOFs that I finished during the afternoon. 

 

 

 

***************************** 

 The demo for this afternoon was for a travel tray to keep your jewelry, change, etc. from getting lost when you stay in a hotel overnight. You can make this any size you want. I made one 9.5" square this afternoon. You can also use snaps or magnets instead of the velcro in the pattern. I recommend that you attach your fasteners to the inside fabric BEFORE you sew the 3 pieces together so they don't show through the outside fabric, but that is just my preference. In addition to being a handy travel accessory, this can be a nice stocking stuffier gift for anyone who travels. I brought 2 boxes of fabric that was donated recently for everyone to look through, plus the large squares in our donation stash. (7.5, 8.5, and 10 inch squares) Since we had a little space in the closet, I left these on our shelf in the closet for next week. That means I can bring some different size squares next week. If you have a preference (6.5", 5", 4.5" or 3.5"), let me know before next week.

  I will send another reminder later, but I strongly encourage you to attend Gary Kudow's talk at the Allamanda rec center next Tuesday at 1PM. He will be talking about one of the charities we support - Project Support our Soldiers. If you want to understand where the items you create go and what is needed, this is a must. Rather than have 2 separate talks, we have invited members of Allamanda Quilters and Sewing 'N More to attend this talk. For anyone concerned about COVID, this is a large room and seating has been arranged to leave space between seats so we are not crowded together. I hope some of you will attend. 

Next week there is no demo. It will be a free sewing day to work on whatever you desire. I received another 5 bags of fabric this afternoon that I have transferred into boxes for easier transport. There are a lot of large pieces in these boxes. I will bring them next week with the hope that you will help me sort the fabric. I will send an email later explaining how the fabric needs to be sorted to make it most usable for our efforts. Hope to see you next Tuesday and Wednesday. Lois


No comments:

Post a Comment