Wednesday, September 4, 2019

September 4, 2019 Post Dorian Notes

The Villages got lucky this week.  Although we were all very prepared, Dorian passed us by.  The last time I looked the outer bands were hitting Jacksonville.  Our thoughts are with the poor people of the Bahamas.

The recreation Centers are supposed to reopen tomorrow, so all clubs will be back on schedule. 

  We filled the cars' gas tanks on Saturday and haven't left the house since, so I have had 5 straight days of sewing time.  Besides working on some of my own projects for a change, I was able to finish 2 charity projects that will be delivered before our next meeting.


First, I finished quilting the last of the quilts Roberta gave me.  She sewed this quilt top by hand with English Paper Piecing.  I saved quilting this for the last since I had to decide how to quilt it.


Then I found 5 yards of a sturdy pink fabric and was able to quickly turn that into 8 draw-string backpacks.  This is a really easy pattern.



 These items, along with 5 other quilts, 2 crocheted shawls, 16 pillowcases, 11 zip bags, a bag full of toiletries, and a few other miscellaneous items will be going to the Ocala Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault center on Monday.  I have wanted to deliver to them for the past few weeks, but something kept getting in to way of my timing. Now I'm determined to get there Monday afternoon. 

As I mentioned in my previous email, I rescheduled the sewing machine tool caddy or the bedside caddy demo for September 11th.  

For the sewing caddy you need 1/2 yard of fabric.  Two fat quarters will do.  

For the bedside caddy you might want to use something stronger than cotton, like a home decor fabric, flannel, or corduroy.   A 1/2 yard would probably do. If you want to get fancy, you could probably even use a leatherette.  Just bring a leather needle for your machine ii you choose that.  Home decor fabric comes a little wider, and that is good so you have room for a bedside magazine, book, iPad, etc. You will also need a 4 or 5" x 24" piece of non-slip rubber (like they put under rugs).  I have some of this for anyone who can't get it. 

Hope to see you next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment